Buy new vs action on principle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Samsung laser printer from Argos in February 2010 for approx £70. It now has a bizarre fault whereby I print one document just fine but print another one and the light flashes but it doesn't print. In order to print the second document, I have to switch off the printer and back on again.

I haven't spoken to Argos about it but their answer will be "go away." A new Samsung printer from them is £50. Alternatively, I go through the small claims court which will cost approx £70 but no court costs whatever the outcome.

So, it is cheaper and less hassle to buy new or do I take action on principle? Fortunately, I have 'real world' experience in employment, firstly 5 years in retail and now 6 years in the public sector. But what I also have is a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over the course of my law degree, skills that make me a nightmare for shops like Argos.:lol:

Seriously though, although consumer law was a strong subject for me, my dilemma at the moment is wondering if such a relatively minor fault is going to pass the 'reasonable person' test under S.14 of SOGA or is it reasonable to expect that such a fault could occur after 3 years?

Victory would see a repair or replacement printer sorted by Argos and my costs paid but the fact remains that a new printer is £50. Just to humour me if nothing else, what do you think?

Edited by Last Of The Time Lords

LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

'real world' legal and retail experience too

I don't think a £70 printer would pass the reasonable time standard. As far as laser printers go, this would be very low end. I would cut my losses and buy new. Printers these days last a few years before the heads go (depending on use), so they are almost disposable themselves. It's why they are so cheap.

Only when you go high end £300+ would I consider it unreasonable to last 3 years.

Is it really worth the hassle vs the price of a new one? Unless you are one of these sue culture peeps who just love to argue for the sake of it...