timpg and Hamptons & Lowell

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm starting a thread for timpg who is having problems with Hamptons & Lowell DCAs

Over to you timpg !!

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Many thanks mr lex

Basically the problem I have is,in the last couple to three months my partner has been receiving letters from Lowell/red over debts which we suspect are over 6 yrs old(I have been with my partner for around 6 years and know she hasn't incurred such debts in our time together).she knows she's had debts she hasn't paid from years ago.my partner doesn't recognise who Lowell state the debt is with,we suspect they might have bought old debts in hope of us paying up.my partner is a home maker and I'm the sole earner in the household,so she couldn't personnaly pay the debts herself,it would have to be me.but just recently we have been receiving calls from hamptons,whom I read are a department of lowells,the advice in asking is what action do you recommend I take,(we haven't replied or made any contact with Lowell red or hamptons yet).thank you for your time,and keep up the gd work with the forum,I'm always reading up things for advice on here lol!

If no payments within 6 years, then the debt will be statute barred and therefore not enforceable. If she sends this letter (link below), it is up to Lowell to prove that there has been a payment within 6 years or to stop chasing for payment. Lowell/Red/Hampton are all the same. Just send to whoever has written recently.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?408-Letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

If she lives in Scotland, there is a different letter in the CAG library.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the fast reply,can I send this letter even if we are not 100% sure debt is sb?just I met my partner around 6yrs ago but were not 100%.if the debt does turn out its not sb,what action do you recommend?should I agree to pay them?thanks again

Check your cra files and see what they say about these debts.

Agreed. If not certain about the debt being SB'd, then check the credit record. If it is not on there, then send the letter. If the debt is on record, it is worth checking with the original creditor when the last payment was, as the default date on credit records can often be wrong.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Sorry iv only just replied.thankyou all for the advice.i know I may sound dumb,but how do I check cra files??im not very clued up in this sort of thing as you can probably tell.also,thinking back,my partner received a call before these letters started coming.it was from a guy who reckon his company can consolidate her debts,knock money owed off or offer her an iva,if id know who she was talking to i would have told her to hang up,but she told the guy she had debts(not sure if she told him exactly what they were).the guy then said he couldn't realy help her then these letters started arriving a mnth after,you don't think there's a coincidence there do you??the other thing is if it is Lowell doin a sneaky then has she effectively owned up to the debts?

Don't worry about any phone calls. It could be anyone. Sounds more likely to be a debt advisory company looking to arrange some form of plan, for which they pocket a commission.

You can use this one to check the credit file, without any possibility of getting a subscription by mistake. https://www.noddle.co.uk/

The Noodle link above is not the best as it is not always up to date. The alternative is to use the Experian free trial, but to remember to cancel within the 30 days to avoid a subscription.