Used Car Purchase Advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4051 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a car from a Used Car Dealer in Glasgow at the end of March. It was paid for by debit card, full cost up front (£695). The seller claimed to be "just working there that day filling in", turns out he works there all the time sourcing cars for them. As soon as I drove it I noticed the spedometer didn't work, neither did the odometer, and pointed this out - I was told to bring it back the next day as they could do nothing about it and it would be "okay to drive, just judge your speed by the rest of the cars on the road"!! As I drove home (about 20 miles away) the car began to completely lose power almost every time I dropped gears. I called them the next day, strangely no-one available but I left a message to say I'd be bringing the car back and wanted a refund. I duly did, only to be met by the "official salesman" telling me he couldn't do anything as the person who sold it would have to authorise the refund and wouldn't be back for another 5 hours.I went to the local Police station for advice, they agreed that whilst they couldn't intervene they said it dangerous to drive a car without a working spedometer or odometer (to me that's fraudulant to sell a car which doesn't record mileage) and that it breached the sale of goods act by selling a car with such defaults (even though it wouldnt' fail an MOT). Armed with this, I went back and low and behold the guy who wouldnt' be back for 5 hours and only was filling in had suddenly turned up, as had another 3 guys and each chipped in with their own sarcastic, heavily-toned comments. After much arguing I eventually got back £545, but they refused to give me back the remaining £150 claiming it was a "non-refundable deposit", none of which was advised to me at any time. The seller then began to become agressive in tone, saying I would get nothing back and I'd be more than welcome to go to Trading Standards and that they'd "laugh themselves silly at me". The car was clearly not fit for purpose, and irrespective of it costing less than £700, it's not unreasonable to expect to know how fast you are going and how far you've gone, or for the car to be reliable enough to retain power when you brake? I have contacted Trading Standards who unfotunately haven't been much help, telling me to write to this company, though I know this would be pointless. Can anyone please advise me what is best to do, I can ill-afford to lose the £150?

Edited by Rickoza
Ease of reading

Ok thanks, is there a template letter I could use for this, want to word it properly. Felt really threatened when I was in there, and whilst they probably wouldn't have done anything you just had this seriously uncomfortable feeling the whole time I was there.