How does a lodger affect benefits

abc123def
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I will shortly have to pay the shortfall in rent as my house will be under occupied. I currently have non dependents here whose income is not taken into account wrt to HB or CTC as I am in receipt of DLA.

If I were to get a lodger, would their income also not be taken into account as with my non dependent adult children, or as they are not related, is that different? Also, how would any money they pay towards the household bills be taken into account for HB, CTB or even my ESA (ir)?

Thank you.

lodgers' actual income is not taken into account, however the income you receive from the lodger will affect your benefits

in receipt of dwp means tested benefits

the first £20 is disregarded

anything above this is deducted in full from means tested dwp benefits such as esa(ir), is or jsa(ib), as long as you retain entitlement to one of these, hb, ctr would not be affected

not in receipt of dwp means tested benefits

the first £20 is disregarded

anything above this is deducted at 65p in the £ from hb

in relation to ctb, it would have been deducted at 20p in the £

however with the introduction of local ct reduction schemes - it will depend upon your LA's scheme

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.