Returning Warranty (Computer component) items.

georgie-boy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Whilst this matter is being sorted, I am concerned about the length of time, and the sequence of events by the retailer.

About 18 months ago, I rebuilt my desktop computer. Most of the components came from SCAN International – obviously spending quite some cash.

Not long after, the graphic card failed. I contacted SCAN who persuaded me to contact the manufacturer (nVidia/EVGA) [not even SCANs wholesaler/supplier].

Reluctantly I did this to save time, but it cost me money to return the item to Germany etc.

1/ About a fortnight ago, one of the 1Tb HDD’s (Seagate) failed, and I contacted SCAN again. They were insisting that I contact Seagate. It is still under warranty.

This time I held fast and told them that as my contract is with them, it’s up to them to sort it out. After several emails, they eventually said that if I send it to them, they will return it to Seagate “on my behalf”. Obviously they expect me to wait for Seagate to comment/replace etc. Apparently; SCAN no longer sell Seagate gear.

I think I’m right in saying that I have One contract – which is with SCAN.

SCAN have TWO contracts. One with me and one with Seagate – and the two shouldn’t meet ?

SCAN have received my original drive today, & found that it is indeed faulty.

As my contract is with SCAN – shouldn’t they just replace the item,,,,, regardless of what they do with the returned one, and regardless of their contract with Seagate - & be pretty quick about it ?

2/ Separate issue:

When a faulty item is returned under warranty, is it right that:

i) any replacement is a refurbished item – not new,

ii) any warranty on the replacement, is only as long as is left on the original ?

thanks all.

F

Edited by georgie-boy

nothing to do with any warranties

SOGA rules here.

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I am assuming that the warranty you mentioned is a manufacturer's warranty with Seagate and that you did not purchase an extended warranty (or similar) from Scan at the time. Please say if this is not the case.

Assuming that you are a private buyer (i.e. not a business) the contract you have with Scan is subject to the implied terms in the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA). The hard drive has broken down well before you would expect it to through fair wear and tear, which means that your claim will argue the drive was not of satisfactory quality and perhaps not fit for purpose. SOGA does allow you to claim a repair or replacement in these circumstances, but it gets a little more complicated after 6 months have passed since purchase.

Before 6 months, the fault is assumed to be present from the day of sale, and the burden of proof is on the seller to prove otherwise. This means that they would need to prove the fault is down to the buyer's misuse, accidental damage etc before rejecting a claim. If the seller cannot do this then the claim must be successful and a repair or replacement issued.

However after 6 months, as in your case, the burden is on the buyer to prove that the fault was inherent and is not down to misuse, accidental damage or fair wear and tear etc. When this has been proven the seller must repair or replace the item within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the seller. If the buyer cannot prove this, then the seller has no statutory obligation to repair or replace the item.

So in order to make your claim, you need to first prove that your hard drive was faulty from the outset. Unfortunately the only way you'll be able to do this is by getting an expert's report on the product, proving that there was a manufacturing defect or design fault. The expert should be someone both the buyer and the seller agree upon, which in most cases, will be the manufacturer itself. This is especially true whilst the item is under warranty, as the report (or opinion) is usually the cheapest option or free (warranties will often charge postage if the item is not faulty, tampered with or damaged) and if successful will result in a swift replacement without further input from buyer or seller.

Because you haven't provided an expert's report in the process of returning the item, the seller is within their rights to refuse a repair or replacement until such a report is received, as the fault may have been caused by you. Scan are arranging a report for you via the manufacturer, which is more than the legal bare minimum, so you don't really have any grounds for complaint. This is not the case if they admitted to a manufacturing defect when confirming the item was faulty, in which case they should agree to repair or replace the item now. Merely confirming the hard drive was non-operative is probably not enough, as your use of the drive could still be to blame for any fault.

In my experience, sending the hard drive to the manufacturer is almost always the best way to resolve the situation. Other experts will find it almost impossible to prove a defect either way as the majority of faults with a hard drive can be caused by issues with the PSU or a power surge, which they will be unable to check, or caused by dropping the drive (or computer), which again it is almost impossible to ascertain which party is to blame. Generally, it's in the manufacturer's interest to allow the claim even if there is no absolute certainty, as their relationshop with the retailer, end-buyer and reputation are usually more important than a refurb/repair costs (although this may not be a factor in your case, with Scan having dropped Seagate as a supplier).

With regards to the manufacturers warranty with Seagate, the time limits are governed by the terms of the warranty, and, where reasonable, can even be shortened after a claim. Your statutory rights with Scan lasts 6 years (5 in Scotland) from date of purchase regardless of how many replacements you receive. This doesn't mean that a product must last 6 years though, although expecting 4-6 years for a hard drive (depending on use) is reasonable, especially in a desktop PC.

Finally, providing the specification and condition is equal to or better than the original product, a refurbished item is an acceptable replacement.