Poor 'police' knowledge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4055 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Every morning while taking my son to school, I have noticed a red BMW parked on the zig-zags of a pedestrian crossong which is located outside another school.

So this morning I decided to dial 101 and pass the info onto the boys in blue thinking that over the next few days aropund the time of the school run, they would keep tabs on this. How wrong I was! "It's nothing to do with the police anymore sir, it's something you should report to the local council. They deal with inconsiderate parking matters". So I asked whether the law had changed and it is no longer then an offence which potentially carries points. The answer I got was "No sir, it does not carry points so therefore it is not a police matter, it is dealt with by Civil Enforcement Officers who can issue a PCN".

So there you have it, you learn something new every day! :|

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I was always under the impression that stopping on pedestrian zig zags could attract points which of course only the police can bring about by issuing a FPN.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

I was always under the impression that stopping on pedestrian zig zags could attract points which of course only the police can bring about by issuing a FPN.

I don't know the answer to that particular question. I just know that (generally) all parking issues go via the local authorities - as they can recover any monies for themself.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q617.htm

Whilst it is not normally an offence in itself to park on the zig zag lines, drivers who do park there could commit an offence of causing an obstruction.

In some areas the zig zag lines are accompanied by a traffic regulation order which does make it an offence to park there. There will be signs to indicate this at the location.

Contact your local police station to report any cars parking on these lines in all cases.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I understand the argument for yellow zig zag lines outside a school

what about white zig zag lines on a pedestrian crossing, that must be still under police control

is it not ???

Ask the question in that link in post 5, squaddie. See what it says :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

White zig zags next to a pedestrian crossing are a different kettle of fish. It's always illegal to park on them, and in areas with decriminalised parking it's one of the few things which can be dealt with either by the criminal process (police, 3 points and £60) or by the decriminalised process (council, PCN, no points).

So Sam was fobbed off. But I imagine the police think they have more important things to do than go hunting for a car which sometimes parks illegally when the council has an army of CEOs doing it instead. TBH they're probably right.

Ask the question in that link in post 5, squaddie. See what it says :)

That relates to yellow school zig zags, not white pedestrian crossing ones.

Please Note

White zig zags next to a pedestrian crossing are a different kettle of fish. It's always illegal to park on them, and in areas with decriminalised parking it's one of the few things which can be dealt with either by the criminal process (police, 3 points and £60) or by the decriminalised process (council, PCN, no points).

So Sam was fobbed off. But I imagine the police think they have more important things to do than go hunting for a car which sometimes parks illegally when the council has an army of CEOs doing it instead. TBH they're probably right.

Actually I wasn't as I attempted to question the person on the other end of the phone. I did ask whether the law had changed to the extent that the offence no longer potentially attracts points and was told quite in an authoritive manner that it never has been a police matter, just a local council one.

Who am I to argue? But the point is, how many lay people contact the police and get duff info every day I wonder?

Please Note

Actually I wasn't as I attempted to question the person on the other end of the phone. I did ask whether the law had changed to the extent that the offence no longer potentially attracts points and was told quite in an authoritive manner that it never has been a police matter, just a local council one.

Who am I to argue? But the point is, how many lay people contact the police and get duff info every day I wonder?

That is the problem with call centres, if it is something that is not in their 'script', they are lost!!

Stopping in the controlled area of a pedestrian crossing is an offence contrary to s. 20 (2), The Zebra, Pelican and Puffin Pedestrian Crossings Regulations and General Directions 1997. (And was an offence before 1997).

A complaint to your local police?

Well I did send a complaint through as Rakay suggested and this is the response I got;

Hello Sam, my colleague in the control room advised you correctly. There have been recent changes regarding the responsibility for specified enforcement powers for parking offences (of which parking on zig zags on a pedestrian crossing is one). They have now been transferred from the police to become the responsibility of the local authority parking enforcement teams throughout many counties in England and Wales. The responsibility varies from force to force and council to council. In the instance of the IOW, it is for the parking enforcement to deal. I have added the link for you to read. Many thanks, FEC.

Hampshire Police

I have followed it up by asking the question; So the offence of stopping/parking on zig zag markings is no longer an endorsable one then?

I will let you know what they come back with.

Please Note

I wonder if they will confirm it is - s.25(5), Road Traffic Regulaton Act 1984 & sch. 2, Road Traffic Offenders Act 1998.

Don't know Ray but I will certainly pursue it. Funnily enough, offending car was not there this morning!

Please Note

Well I don't know who you spoke to at the police but their wrong. At my little sisters school the police come and regulate whos parking where and they have a right go at you if you park on double yellow. It's all because every house owner opposite the school has complained. I think it's down the the police's discretion perhaps and town

Well I don't know who you spoke to at the police but their wrong. At my little sisters school the police come and regulate whos parking where and they have a right go at you if you park on double yellow. It's all because every house owner opposite the school has complained. I think it's down the the police's discretion perhaps and town

In decriminalised areas, enforcement of yellow line restrictions is down to the local authority. Police can advise motorists of the restriction - and if they consider it suitable they can deal with the matter as the offence of unnecessary obstruction, but not the yellow line restriction.

It depends on the area. In areas with decriminalised parking enforcement (eg most big cities) the police have no power to enforce most parking restrictions, though there are a few offences (pedestrian crossings and causing an unnecessary obstruction spring to mind) which they do retain the power to deal with. In areas without decriminalised parking (mostly small towns and rural areas, where there aren't enough parking restrictions to justify a team of council CEOs) double yellow lines and the like remain a police matter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would update this as it hasn't been resolved.

Police never responded when I asked them about this offence being covered by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 so I did as they had originally suggested and last week contacted the local council parking enforcement team. Low and behold, the initial response was "that's a police matter isn't it?" I explained what the police had said and that this car is parked on the crossing almost every school morning unattended with it's hazard lights flashing. They asked for the vehicle details which I gave them.

So far, nothing has changed as the car still parks on the crossing (even though most times there are alternative legal places available). Perhaps something will be done when a pedestrian is knocked down on the crossing?

Please Note