style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4079 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this or even if someone can help me out with it, so I will plod on and see what happens.

My friend owns a flat in the UK (6 flats leasehold with all owners directors and one tenant a managing director of the company that look after maintainance etc) and I am staying here while she lives in Malaysia.

Just before I moved in in Feb 2013 there was a leak in my bathroom which damaged a small section of ceiling in the flat below. Unfortunate but an accident and I (on behalf of my friend) liased with all parties to arrange plumbers etc and the works were paid for without question.

Other things happened to do with the same problem, but as good neighbours we agreed and paid for the works to be completed.

Now this is were the problem starts. The owner of the flat with damage has been arsey through out. after the works have been completed he is now wanting to charge us money for his 'call outs' to the property

Plus he wants to charge us two months rent while the flat (he says was uninhabitable) The problem on this point is the damage wasnt so bad and he didnt even put the place on the market. It is my view that had tenants called to view, they would have seen works going on and been fine with it.

The guy generally has a bad attitude in many areas but nit a discussion for here. He also has a habit of bullying people.

At every stage of the above, we have emailed with updates, planned works etc to which we never received a reply but in my mind this is all building a picture of us being the responsible people while others do nothing.

He is now threatening court action over lost rent and other stuff to around about £900. I think we should let him go ahead as we really cant manage the man, he is odd. but I want to know first the following

1) If he goes to court and the person he is suing lives in Malaysia, and address unknown, can the papers be served, if not can action be brought.

2) If he get the case to court and the girl who owns the flat is skint, what can the court do. Im thinking possibly a charge on property or 50p per week arrangement.

Really I am after any kind of help here. My friend is across the world, with very limited funds and this guy is just bullying and moving goal posts at every turn.

Thanks for your time

Hello there.

I'm not an expert in these matters and I hope they will arrive later.

I would hope there is an insurance policy on the flat. If I've understood correctly you live in the one your friend owns.

I wonder if the insurance would cover what the neighbour is claiming. Or maybe it includes legal cover so you or your friend could speak to someone.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum