Is there any precedent, Building Societies accepting a part offer on balance

Deadwood
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Like many others

I've reached the end of my interest only mortgage term to find I'm in bad shape financially.

I have a relatively small outstanding balance, about 8% of the property value that the Halifax won't remortgage.

I have some savaings to offer as a part payment, do they accept offers?

how much should I offer if they do and is it best to use a solicitor?

Thanks

They almost certainly won't accept it, not when they can take possession proceedings and get the whole lot (they'll win as the term is at an end and the court will have no power to suspend any possession order).

Don't waste money on a solicitor, you can make any offer to them directly. You never know, you may be lucky and they'll accept it. You may be better off offering them a fixed sum per month over the next two years in the hope that you can either raise the remaining money in some way to discharge the debt, or sell the property. Most mortgagees will accept payments up to two years after the term has ended, but the choice is entirely theirs and you cannot force them to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Halifax are being complete t**ts, have ignored my letter, not an offer but asking for an explanation of their unwarranted demands, they just sent an even more strident demand. We've had 40 years of dealing with the Halifax. missed out on the privatisation shares by a few pounds, they did in fact steal the remaining balance of our account, about £70 prior to their demutualisation. The Halifax shareholders and board made a fortune, bled the bank dry and mismanaged the new bank and we've been the mugs that have paid for it.