style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3784 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From your own experience - What are the top three areas of concern with bailiffs  

742 Caggers have voted

1. 1. From your own experience - What are the top three areas of concern with bailiffs

• Charges/fees
    • Behaviour on the doorstep or in the home
    • Misunderstanding powers of entry
    • Police involvement (Police misunderstanding of their own powers)
    • Bailff powers to commit to prison (misrepresenting)
    • Power to clamp vehicles (mainly in relation to PCNs and Council Tax)
    • Constructive levies (i.e. looking through the window)
    • Failure to check vehicle ownership
    • Failure to provide identification
    • Discussing details with neighbours or other 3rd parties
    • Unsocial hours
    • Refusal to acknowledge vulnerability

Please help us by contributing to this poll.

Only click "Vote now" when you have put in all three choices

You should study it carefully and say what, in your experience, are your top three concerns.

If you have not been visited by a bailiff, then I'd be grateful if you would just watch the progress of the poll but not contribute.

If you feel that there is a concern which has not been identified in the poll, then please tell us about it in this thread.

You will not be able to post in this thread unless you have taken part in the poll.

If you are not taking part in the poll then please start a new thread to give us any other information you think we should know about.

Thank you

Only click "Vote now" when you have put in all three choices

Very strange. There is one choice in your name - but it should have insisted on three.

What are your choices and I'll add them for you - if you want

I think that I may have sorted it out - although it won't now display in descending order.

There is now an "unvote" button at the top - although it is difficult to see until I find out how to change its colour.

If you have voted but your votes aren't correctly recorded, please "Unvote" and then vote again.

Sorry.

Edited by BankFodder
Ooh - I'm a techy!!! I found it and changed it (and I didn't break it!!!) - it is now in blue

Yes - I don't know why that it is - but when you come back, you will find that you have unvoted.

And when you vote again, your votes will be correctly recorded.

• 2 weeks later...

Bankfodder I ticked "Behaviour on the doorstep" because it was the closest I could get to one of the concerns that I felt, but you hadn't listed . Long after I had

paid the Council direct, I was still getting bailiffs putting letters through my door claiming that I still owed them money and that they would be coming round to remove goods-the usual. This was

despite the fact that the L/O had been paid several months before.

If they felt that I owed them money, then I don't think it is lawful for them to threaten me under the L/O. Surely they are only able to ask for the money as any normal creditor and not use the

L/O in an attempt to frighten me. [i have to say that I haven't paid them and I doubt that as they didn't stick to the legal requirements in their attempted levy, I doubt they would ever risk taking

the matter to Court.

• 2 weeks later...

My choices were

1) Behaviour on the doorstep / in the home

2) Misunderstanding powers of entry

3) Discussing details with neighbours or 3rd parties

I have been visited by bailiffs before and their behaviour was atrocious, they tried to force entry/force their way past me in the doorway and they also discussed details and showing the paperwork to random people/neighbours on my street

There was a couple more options that I would of chose, like Constructive levies (i.e. looking through the window) also Bailff powers to commit to prison (misrepresenting) also Failure to provide identification

Thhis thread is only for comments about the bailiff poll.

If you have bailiff experiences which you want to share with others, please start a new thread.

Thanks

Hi,

Can you please add threats to family members (minors)

Seizing and selling property not belonging top the the debtor ( do you have receipts for goods from 5 years ago?)

Selling levied goods at auction with no reserve, these being purchased by friends of the bailiff for 1/10th of actual price

Seizing laptops/computers with confidential information on them (Data Protection)

I wish you all the best with your efforts, but I think that you will meet with serious obstruction as there is so much money at stake and the people who profit from the actions of these people have a lot of influence and are connected to some very nasty people.

Please be careful

Best Regards

• 2 weeks later...

My previous reply not here? Sympathies with srs57 - similar experience. Applied for an injunction from county court. Seizing goods (including a car and computer) which they had been told did not (or which obviously did not) belong to the debtor was the main problem. The judge can instruct them to return other peoples' goods and this does not need a court form.

I ill add 3 to the poll shortly,but I would like to develop the questions if I may be permitted.

A bailiff and his company are driven by the quest to maximise profits at the expense of the disadvantaged and vulnerable.

A doorstep visit will involve xxxxxxxxx and intimidating behaviour.A weak minded person will usually relent to this high pressure-As we read on here on an almost daily basis.

Councils do not require bailiffs to be CRB checked,unlike their stance on other agents who represent them ie taxi drivers etc.Bailiffs often enter single parent households with no training or awareness in child protection.Bailiffs are also paid on a commission style basis which IMO leads to a conflict of interest.Vehicles will be levied because the doorstep bailiff earns more from that than from a visit fee.Bailiffs are reluctant to verify ownership because there is a small fee involved in doing so.Likewise is it right that a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx etc should be placed in a position whereby the temptation to commit xxxxx is there on a daily basis?Potentials that could be avoided if anyone actually cared.

The commitment to prison threat is misleading because the regulations use that magic word "may" so a bailiff quoting 47 (1) is not doing anything wrong.

The National Standards,CIVEA Code of Conduct and Good Practice and LGO Report (Nov 2012) all recommend that a bailiff should report back upon discovering a vulnerable household.I doubt this happens very often in practice.

Fees are always going to provoke debate.I'm still not convinced that a levied car with no signed WP is chargeable & if that is the case all fees thereafter would be invalid.Van fees for a levied car? What were they planning? cut the car up & pack it neatly in the back of a van? Head H fees-Enough said & the thread a couple of pages back confirms everyones thoughts

I'm going for:

1.Excessive/xxxxxxxx charges/fees

2.xxxxxxxxxxxx behaviour on the doorstep

3.Constructive levies (ie unsigned WP on a car)

Edited by ploddertom
Some of what was originally posted could be perceived to be defamatory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thuggish behaviour from beginning to end. Right from the call centre to the 'doorstepers' .It must be the only industry (apart from illegal debt collectors) who routinely indulge in such neandertal tactics.

This is a good example of how they act:

Bailif action foiled by police..

Please deleted or edit if it contravenes site rules :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Charges starting at £200 for van fees etc.....such a con!

especially if the turn up with a Berlingo, Nemo or Bipper to remove a car

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 2 months later...

Will Bankfodder be providing an update at some point ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 3 weeks later...
clamping blue badge/disabled tax vehicle :jaw:

They are not supposed to do that at all

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Brassnecked - I know. Complaint in with Council who are steadfastly ignoring it and saying all is well. Unfortunately by law bailiff can clamp and I can only find guidance/codes of conduct saying that they shouldn't, not actual law.

If the car had been on the street it would have been safe from clamping from what I understand but because bailiff came to home.................

Am I losing it whilst I'm typing letters, I just checked back on here and saw that DF had posted

It says and theres no new post?

firstnew.png poll_posticon.gif Poll: Bailiff Poll

Please help us by contributing to this poll....

Started by BankFodder‎, 29th March 2013 14:02 1 2

tag.png

• Replies: 20
  • Views: 23,175

dementedfeline Today, 15:05 lastpost-right.png

or is mycmputer on the blink ?

Am I losing it whilst I'm typing letters, I just checked back on here and saw that DF had posted

It says and theres no new post?

firstnew.png poll_posticon.gif Poll: Bailiff Poll

Please help us by contributing to this poll....

Started by BankFodder‎, 29th March 2013 14:02 1 2

tag.png

• Replies: 20
  • Views: 23,175

dementedfeline Today, 15:05 lastpost-right.png

or is mycmputer on the blink ?

It automatically refreshes every few hours.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]