style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We left oz having lost all the money we had worked so hard to save. It was not our fault but we could not afford to go to court to try and win compensation.

We spent three years prior to finally literally caving in trying to pay off huge debts. We finally left with only enough to get by with and brought ourselves home. We left behind about $???? in credit card debt Left no details of our where abouts and the only contact there has been has been to the old address we spent the last weeks at.

The present tennant (friend) has just sent any mail back to the companies as being not at this address. Our friend recently told us there has been a letter marked from a court company -this also has been returned to sender. we reckon they will eventually catch up with us in our homeland and we are very careful about phone calls .

I thing these have been a couple of calls . They said they were from a Bank but would not tell which bank and just demanded to know our details. i basically told them politely to P--s off and that I did not give out personal information over the phone. we are putting a call stopper on the phone so they cannot get through.

Question -- what can we do to protect ourselvef. We have recovered our lives and are living again but want to be careful about any future developements from the debt collectors.

We do not have anything about ourselves on facebook or twitter or the likes. We have about four years left before the time has passed when they cn come after us.

Can you advise in anyway or are we doing all we can for the moment.:!:

Edited by citizenB
formatting

They will appoint a UK debt collector as their agent to make contact at some point. If they know you were from the UK, their agents will check credit records, which will show your addresss. Unfortunately, everything you do in signing up to any form of credit contract, will go onto a credit record with companies such as Experian, Equifax. You cannot avoid having your address being shown somewhere.

If they have obtained court judgements in Aus, they can transfer these to the High Court in London, but they would have to see whether it is worth it or not. I suspect that they will just hassle you with letters and phone calls to see what they can find out. If you never engage with them and don't give them any details, they may never take any court action in the UK, due to the cost, worrying that they won't get their fees back or it will take a long time. But do check your post to make sure you don't miss any court papers, as you don't want to have a default court judgement because you did not deal with it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Wait to see what it says and post back. If the letter is from debt collectors, they threaten quite a lot, but often it is 'we may take this action', rather than 'they will take this action'. Obviously any paperwork from a UK court, you would need to take seriously. If you fail to appear to defend any UK High Court claim, you will receive a default judgement. If you then don't pay, they will look to take enforcement action. You should always defend the claim if possible, as you may find procedural issues which will help you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Our friend recently told us there has been a letter marked from a court company

Some more info on this would be good.

Exact name of the company would be good.

Are your sure it wasnt CORP and not court?

Credit corp are the only aus debt collector that i know of that would chase overseas.

They are the main parrasites you will need to deal with if they have taken on the old debts.

The other debt collectors in Aus would call you if they have contact details but i dont know of any cases where they have done any more than that.

If is Credit Corp we can cross that bridge when or if it arrives.

You have come to the right place for help and advise.

You can check your veda credit file in Aus online using your old address for ID to see if any court action has taken place in your absence. Or at least you used to be able too. http://www.mycreditfile.com.au/home/free-credit-file.dot

Lets see what turns up.

Credit corp i know will troll facebook, linkedin, and such.

Ex directory Phone?

Edited by krios