Victory for Arctic Convoy veterans

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Ministry of Defence has today confirmed the newly-designed Arctic Star and Bomber Command gold clasp will be available to almost a quarter of a million veterans or their families within weeks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2284517/At-medal-fit-Arctic-heroes-Design-unveiled-honour-veterans-Russian-Run-Second-World-War.html

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

This really is smashing news. I know they were only doing their job, but even so the bravery, especially of those convoys, should be rewarded with a big 'thank you'.

It should really be the Russians who say thank you.

It should really be the Russians who say thank you.
They tried to by offering a medal of their own but HMG refused. :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9801118/UK-veterans-denied-Russian-WWII-bravery-medal-for-Arctic-convoys.html

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Standard policy is that foreign medals cannot be worn by UK citizens (not just Armed Forces), unless authorised by HM Queen. It's a good idea - we don't want to start looking like Americans! I have two non-UK medals - the UNPROFOR medal, which is authorised for wear, and the NATO Afghanistan medal (x2), which isn't. The usual reason why a foreign medal isn't authorised for wear is when a UK medal is issued for the same conflict - so using the example of my medals, the UK didn't issue a campaign medal for the Balkans, but issue the Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan. Similarly, my time in Bosnia doesn't count toward the Accumulated Campaign Service Medal, but Afghanistan does. Of course, outside the forces no-one checks, but in this case the Russians wanted the medal distributed officially, and the govt refused. The argument was that those involved in the Arctic convoys, and Bomber Command aircrews would have been awarded the 1939-45 Star. It's good to see that the exceptional circumstances in which both groups operated have been recognised now, though.

If the Russians want to say thank you, a hefty donation to the RBL would do the job.

The sad fact is the russians treat the artic convoy veterans better than our own goverments since WW 11

Even the cold war did not interfere with how they viewed merchant seamen.

RUSSIAN BRITISH, CANADIAN were all seen as brothers in arms against a common foe for which the russians hold these brave men in the highest esteem.

Shame on the UK for not recognising their sacrafice better for which the war would have probably have been lost. I consider hitler lost the war after stalingrad through resources shipped to russia from the allies.

Edited by squaddie

I've been going through my late FiLs discharge papers and see he was in the MN until '41 then joined the RN until Oct '46, the daft thing is looking at his discharge papers all the ships he served on are all listed as shore stations i.e Duke, Pembroke, Victory, Copra etc yet he has a rack of medals including the Atlantic Star & clasp as well as the Italy Star.

It looks as if I'll have to do a bit of digging to see if he's entitled to the Arctic Star.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

60 odd years late. how many are dead and gone this country attitude stinks on these type subjects, seems like Oh! by the way here you are if you are around. Like out Active Service Medals in the 60s, just pop down to the Armory when you are passing and collect your Medal, no parades like now.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

The decision to hold a medals parade is one for Commanding Officers. Some units don't hold them at all. One unit I deployed with held a medals parade, but didn't invite any of us who were individual augmentees - my OSM Afghanistan came in a jiffy bag through the post. My OSM Iraq arrived the same way, several months late, after the MOD Medals Office sent it to the wrong unit.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la méme chose...