The Lewis Group??

KRSY123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this but I found this forum online and I am in desperate need of some advice...

Last year I missed a payment on a store card, I brought the balance into check at the end of January so I'm no longer in arrears on payments and the minimum payment I needed to make was well exceeded.

This payment cleared on the 1st of Feb from my bank account and shows on my recent statement for the store card.

On the 6th of Feb I started getting letters from the Lewis Group. The first letter was dated the 6th of Feb so it was sent after the payment had cleared.

It said I had to pay my remaining balance in full or bailiffs will be sent to my address. Naturally I ignored it but since then I have had another letter and persistent phone calls from them saying the balance needed to be cleared completely.

I have explained the circumstances to them but they are having non of it. They want the balance in full otherwise I am getting a court order! I told them there are no longer any issues with my account and all payments have been accepted but I can't/don't want to clear the balance in full.

I have contacted the original creditors with my concern but they say they have no access to my account information now the Lewis Group has it but I have still received my monthly statement from them!?!

I am very confused and a bit distressed by all this as no one is being clear and all the Lewis Group say is that I need to pay immediately. It's like they just won't listen to me and it is so frustrating.

Even though I will not be paying the balance in full does the Lewis Group have the power to affect my credit rating even if I keep my payments in line with my statements?

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Hi welcome to CAG,

Ok are the Lewis Group stating they are acting on behalf of the creditor or are they saying they bought the debt?

Did you receive a notice of assignment from the creditor saying Lewis had the debt?

Has the account been defaulted? What shows on your credit reference files?

For this to have been passed on if the account is up to date now implies that there has been more problems previously?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You need to resolve this with the store card people and get them to stop Lewis contacting you.

The store card company will probably still own this debt, so it is up to them how this is dealt with. Don't believe what Lewis are telling you, as they just want to earn from dealing with you.

Don't speak to Lewis on the phone, but you may want to contact the store card companies customer services by phone to find out what is going on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've had no correspondence from the creditors to say my debt was passed over but the Lewis Group must have control of my account as I tried to use it at the weekend and it declined even though it had worked at the beginning of Feb before the letter was sent from them. Neither parties have been helpful or informative at all and my statement shows nothing out of the ordinary

BRIGADIER I missed two consecutive payments last summer but once I paid I had no trouble using my account and I was contacted once during that time by a debt collector called Viking (I think). I'd had no issues with my account since until now.

I have contacted the national debt helpline and they are sending me sample letters to forward to the Lewis Group

see post, oc has no info!

I would keep all of this in writting unless you can record calls.

As to court action if Lewis do not own the debt any decision on litigation will fall to the original creditor, then a claim pack would be issued and you can enter a defence, you would have to lose the case and have a CCJ fail to pay the judgment order, then a warrant can be applied for and bailiffs instructed, so you are a long way from that at present.

Please let us have the info requested it will be easier to advise then.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

I think perhaps you will need to make a SAR to the creditor to get to the bottom of this.

Ok are the Lewis Group stating they are acting on behalf of the creditor or are they saying they bought the debt?

I asked them on the phone but the said they were unable to provide the information

Did you receive a notice of assignment from the creditor saying Lewis had the debt?

No I have only received letters from Lewis Group

Has the account been defaulted?

Yes

What shows on your credit reference files?

I haven't accessed them

I have just read up on what a SAR is and I have found a strong example letter. Am I expected to enclose a payment for £10? I can see that this may be requested to cover the cost

Yes £10 is a Statutory Fee.

BTW either the creditor or Lewis Must inform you if the debt has been sold.

There are a number of challengeable matters coming up here.

Get a credit report.

To keep it short , you have never entered into any contract with lewis group . They have bought the debt from your original source ( they have actually paid your debt for a reduced fee from your original lender , )so ask them ( lewis group ) for a copy of your credit agreement with them . They don't have one . Then send them packing . Lewis group have no power to take you to court because you technically don't owe them anything . Most people don't realize that once a debt is sold , It's been paid, by the buyer , they have paid your debt without consulting you so just thank them for such a lovely gesture :)

Edited by ronna37

To keep it short , you have never entered into any contract with lewis group . They have bought the debt from your original source ( they have actually paid your debt for a reduced fee from your original lender , )so ask them ( lewis group ) for a copy of your credit agreement with them . They don't have one . Then send them packing . Lewis group have no power to take you to court because you technically don't owe them anything . Most people don't realize that once a debt is sold , It's been paid, by the buyer , they have paid your debt without consulting you so just thank them for such a lovely gesture :)

and where did you get that rubbish from?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...