Council Tax Benefit help!

herbie171
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a house with my daughter owned by ny estranged wife, she lives elsewhere, I have had my council tax benefit suspended for over a year now, struggling to pay the single occupancy, I have had repeted letters from the council asking for my estranged wifes address to which I have replied I do not know,

Today the council wrote to her at her work place, even though the letter was addressed to my estranged wife the company sectary open it, and it stated she was linked to an investigation into a benefit claim and they would like to see her.

She rang me all irate saying she was not claiming any benefit and I told her I was not claiming anything for her which I am not.

I told her as she is not living here and not claiming she does not have to talk to them, I also said I am not even sure they are allowed to even write to you in your place of work.

Could someone here with a bit more knowledge advise me on what to tell the ex as she is on about selling the house and me having to find my own place to live.

Does she have to talk to the council?

Are the council allowed to cold call or write to her place of work?

Can the council approach her on the street or even go to her place of work?

Thanks for any advice

No she doesn't have to talk to talk to them, but without her co operation, you will find it difficult to prove she's living elsewhere. Why can she not just provide her address to them or to you?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

She thinks I am going to or members of my family or even friends are going to harass her, plus I don't need it I have her mobile phone number for emergencies.

Plus I dont think it has anything to do with where she is living it has to do with questions about me and my claim

normally, the council would only request an address for an ex partner where there is: -

1. an outstanding council tax debt
  2. an outstanding benefit overpayment
  3. an issue relating to where your partner/daughter is living
  4. a housing benefit claim
  5. you still have some financial connections with your ex

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Plus I dont think it has anything to do with where she is living it has to do with questions about me and my claim

do you have any idea what they want to ask her about?

a year is a very long time for CTB to be suspended

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

normally, the council would only request an address for an ex partner where there is: -

1. an outstanding council tax debt ........... NOTHING OUTSTANDING
  2. an outstanding benefit overpayment.......... Could be an overpayment to me, not her she has never claimed
  3. an issue relating to where your partner/daughter is living............... my Daughter lives with me
  4. a housing benefit claim ..............Don't claim it
  5. you still have some financial connections with your ex................ Yes don't we all as she is my ex

She has said she is not going to talk to them and it's tough luck on me, all she is bothered about is them going to her work.

She has never ever claimed any benefit of any kind

Edited by herbie171

It is in her interests to talk to them, because then they will stop trying to contact her through any means. If she doesn't mind them contacting her at work or wherever they know she is then she can just ignore their attempts at contact and let them try her wherever.