Canadian with France bank account in the negatives!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I studied abroad in France in 2011 and had opened a bank account to attend school. I never closed it before I returned to Canada and right now I think it is around - 500 euros. The bank (LCL) has sent letters to my house in Canada notifying me of this debt. I have not received anything however in a year.

Does this small debt have any chance of catching up to me here in canada?? Also if I ever returned to France I am going to assume that I will not be able to open another bank account, even with another bank company?

I am very clueless on how this works in France and would appreciate any help!!

Thanks!!

They may sell the debt to a debt collector in a portfolio of others for a fraction of it's value, usually around 7%. It really isn't commercially viable for them to pursue for that amount, it would cost them more in legal costs although a debt collection company may try their luck sometime in the future.

Also if I ever returned to France I am going to assume that I will not be able to open another bank account, even with another bank company?
You will be able to open another a/c although it would be wise to keep away from the original bank and associate companies.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT