BBC1 the sheriffs are coming. what extra powers do they have

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a bit unfair for the innocent landlord, especially if the tenant goes away or goes bump and ends up owing rent, leaves the landlord out of pocket, especially if it is gated industrial units and the other tenants lose money through being locked out.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Seems a bit unfair for the innocent landlord, especially if the tenant goes away or goes bump and ends up owing rent, leaves the landlord out of pocket, especially if it is gated industrial units and the other tenants lose money through being locked out.

I have delivered to Heathrow airside and they are much more professional and wont just wave you through. The security guard on the show should of consulted a higher authority just to make sure

his back was covered. If I was crimanaly minded I could go back to that airport with a van and

some dodgy paperwork and rob the first unit I saw unoccupied.

I have delivered to Heathrow airside and they are much more professional and wont just wave you through. The security guard on the show should of consulted a higher authority just to make sure

his back was covered. If I was crimanaly minded I could go back to that airport with a van and

some dodgy paperwork and rob the first unit I saw unoccupied.

Do you know how Arthur Daley will die? He'll fall off the back of a lorry.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I love the programme and have been watching them every morning.

It's about time the crooks out there met their match and are made to cough up. We lost our business 5 years ago to a guy who kept shifting the assets from one company to another. We used the court bailiffs but they were useless. I know what to do next time!

we too used county court bailiff who proved to be more than useless - HCEO have got our money in no time - will use sheriff again if ever necessary - very pleased with the outcome for us.

I have read about people who refuse to pay debts even when they clearly have the means , but what about people who refuse to pay solely on the grounds that they are convinced they don't owe the debt in question , and no amount of effort and proof that the debt is not owed seems to satisfy the masters of genital husbandry ??. And another thing , I would imagine they could not do a hell of a lot if they enter your property and find nothing of value that would even come close to settling the 'debt'. Imagine the scenario. You are on full benefits , house full of tat , and no assets of any description. Just what could they possibly do next apart from calling it a day , and scurry back to their nests.

Light travels faster than sound...............that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

well said

I agree with Bunnymen. I own a small business and currently have x3 bad debts totaling £12k. I have sent one of these debts to the HCEOs for action. I have struggled to keep my business afloat in recent years but have done so because when times were good, I saved instead of spending our profits on an extravagant lifestyle. In today's climate, I'm running out of savings and have had to sacrifice holidays, a bigger house a new car etc. BUT - one of my debtors drives a £30k car, owns several properties locally as well as a holiday home in Florida and afforded to fly Business class to New Zealand at Christmas. He acknowledges the debt he owes me but thinks he's above the law and refuses to pay. I'm hoping that the HCEOs will be able to seize goods (hopefully his "status" car) to sell at auction and it is likely that with their fees as well as what I've spent on Court costs so far, his £5k debt to me, will become £6k+. And do you know what - it serves him right!!! I'm fed up with people dodging their debts. People on these forums give advice to others about how NOT to pay!!! But, people like me and Bunnymen get forgotten about!! If people don't pay me for the goods I've have provided, then eventually my business will end up another tragic victim of today's culture where people don't take responsibility for their actions and think it acceptable to live on credit. So please stop slagging off these Sheriffs - they are working on behalf of people who are already victims - and if you don't believe me, watch the programme and remember Bunnymen when you do! In the meanwhile, I'll be back at my desk tomorrow morning phoning my customers and listening to their sob stories about why their payments are late. At the same time, I'll have my own suppliers putting my account on stop if I can't pay them. Then I'll go home and try not to worry about how we're going to pay next month's mortgage!!

well said

and what about people who try to settle debts but the creditor/claiment thinks there above anybody else and ignores coraspondance............then sends in the heavys to claim there "reward" only for it to turn out later that the person they where chasing was never the debtor....... who then has to pay them back??? ill tell you who the "claiment" not the heavy as you employed them??? so the claiment then ends up even worse off and believe me it does happen!!!!

and what about people who try to settle debts but the creditor/claiment thinks there above anybody else and ignores coraspondance............then sends in the heavys to claim there "reward" only for it to turn out later that the person they where chasing was never the debtor....... who then has to pay them back??? ill tell you who the "claiment" not the heavy as you employed them??? so the claiment then ends up even worse off and believe me it does happen!!!!

That is why enforcement is a double edged sword, and generally see as a win win for the enforcer, who will chase the claimant if the debtor is skint.

Edited by brassnecked

yes they could technically steam roller thru the gate, forced entry means as such, in practise, they would of just ducked under it, or called the police explaining they have been denied access and have forced entry rights, the police would of attended and made sure that they were not impeaded in any way, as its a court order

in relation to the cats!!!!! not a lot could be done about that, cats are cats, but taking it a little bit futher than that, if someone "set" their dog upon them or the like then the owner or dog or person in control of the dog would be arrested

I'd love to hear the coppers read out that witness statement in court: "bark bark, pant pant, sniff, arrrhhhooooooooo, bark"

:D

Cerberus

I'd love to hear the coppers read out that witness statement in court: "bark bark, pant pant, sniff, arrrhhhooooooooo, bark"

:D

Cerberus

Many years ago my cats once attacked a copper, clawed his leg to shreds they did, jumping out on him from under a lilac bush as he came up the garden path. He tried to prosecute me, but was very upset when he found you can't be done for the actions of a ca. It turned out he was a dog handler, and earlier in the day they had cause to use dogs looking for a villain, and his dog had poked his snout through our gate, on seeing a cat, the cats had clawed the dogs nose, so the copper was looking to have a go about the injuries to his dog; now had they been Chihuahuas I would have been in the carp. Really felt sorry for him, but he did ignore the Beware of The cat notice. Besides they loved the postman and would fuss and rub him affectionately, It was just that they took a dislike to certain people, so would defend their gate, like an Orc defending the crossroads at Ogremor..

Edited by brassnecked

• 3 weeks later...
That's why it makes good TV, you are hoping someone will flip at the door, and clobber the sheriff with a bat or chuck some water over them, or the cat gets them, vicious creatures cats, also plod can't do you if the cat attacks the bailiff. Seen a few vicious cats where the postman fears to go through the gate.

Yep they can be, a mate of mine used to be a postie, when he put the mail through the letterbox the cat neary had his hand off, hissing and everything it was - an occupational hazard i'm afraid !

@brassnecked: haha excellent... Kudos to kitty... Cats have more rights than us in a way.. They have freedom of passage to pretty much anywhere :) I guess what that means is, if they want to slaw their way into someone, they're allowed to :D Because they're classed as unpredictable animals, owners don't take responsibility for their actions. That doesn't mean you can go get a leopard tho!

anyway, the officer must have done something to provoke such an attack. Cat's aren't very proactive, they're more than likely reactive.