Disabled and getting help abroad

illuminus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if you can help direct me to the right place.

I am married and living in the Netherlands. I was on ESA and before that Incapacity Benefit for 7 years, although not DLA even though I might have been eligible for it as I can't cook my own meal.

In the Netherlands they wont let me register with the IND but say they 'cant kick me out' of the country.

I read online that I can't claim back money for my health insurance but they give me that, and I read I might be eligible for help with minimum allowance (the council over there want to give it to me but the IND say no)

My husband who is also disabled gets 10% less because I live with him. So we pay out about 130 Euros a month with nothing coming in for me. We have money for our bills but 0 for food and anything else. Below the minimum wage for one person.

They say we have to wait five years and also say I shouldn't bring money in as they will also take this off my husband. I dont have money anyway.

Meanwhile my contributions are lapsing in the UK (I mean that the government pay rather than I paid contributions) so I don't know if Im still insured in the UK when I go home for medical and going to the dentist, etc. I have lived in holland for 6 months, I am back in the UK for one month. My husband asked me to look into it, but it's harder from this end than his end. Only I don't speak Dutch so it is difficult for me.

Obviously a lawyer might know but I'm not sure I'm eligible for legal aid or anything.

It is frustrating because it's like we have the worst end of everything. We have to pay for insurance but I might not be eligible now for free insurance here. I am not entitled to benefits but my husband can get his cut or we might have to pay tax back if they decide that.

The worst is they cut my husband by 10% a month and backdated as well so we have to pay 300 Euros back which is an extra 40 Euros a month less, with the ten per cent less as well that is around 120 less a month than for one person plus medical insurance too.

They say I can naturalise in three years but the process costs a few thousand and I have memory issues. Plus, if anything were to happen to my husband I would want to come back to the UK.

I am having trouble with that too. For example, can I still use a UK doctor when I visit?

Are you a British or EU citizen? How long have you lived in the Netherlands? Are you registered as resident?

If you are a EU citizen you don't have to be registered at the IND but I don't see why they are refusing it. Maybe you're not classified as resident?

EDIT: If you're married to a Dutch national they can't refuse your request for naturalization unless you have committed a crime.

It's been a long time since I was in the Netherlands, but I would ask for help at the "Juridish Loket" and the "Werkplein".

I used to be registered to some expat forums but at the minute I can't remember the url.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply!

I am a British citizen, I have lived there since August. Married in October.

I am registered as resident with the Town Hall and have a tax number from them.

My husband is a Dutch national.