Stopped today, Boxing Day

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers guys.

ashlee. agree, if can't do will power (its not easy!) then use the ecigs, cuts out all the tar and poisons. (until the gov't decides to extra tax those as well!). i might try them if cant continue the resistance! but, have to say that the cravings are less now, usually only when have a beer! or as dpick says 'well, after a meal theres nothing like a good cigar' :)

• 2 months later...

still going :) although have had a couple of cigars since last post, including one today! (i blame it on the nice weather :) ). i have the cigs under control (ie none), but i hope i don't lose to the cigars!! i don't think i will as have only had 2 since last. good luck to all trying to stop.

hi dpick, hows it going

it was the fine weather and cold beer alfresco that led to the cigar! and then only a hamlet :) but it won't become a habit, thats for sure.

• 1 year later...

How often is now and then?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Put it like this. Years ago my OH had the odd cigar when he packed up cigs, but eventually went back to fags because he was smoking nearly as many cigars. Took many years before packing up.

I gave up smoking for about 12 years but started having the odd one when smoker friends could no longer smoke in pubs. Just a couple every couple of months .... to begin with....

Take it from one who knows .... It's the thin end of the wedge so knock it on the head.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

thanks caro

its so difficult, the smoke addiction. you know the one when have a beer/a good meal

i congrat anyone that stops the smokes of all kind completely, well done. if only i could...

thanks caro

its so difficult, the smoke addiction. you know the one when have a beer/a good meal

i congrat anyone that stops the smokes of all kind completely, well done. if only i could...

I know what you mean, but that is also habit. Instead of lighting up after a meal, get up and do the washing up if you're at home, or go for a walk. Anything to distract yourself and break the habit.

I could kick myself for starting again but trying to stop again. 7 days so far. I haven't been smoking a lot but I've certainly noticed the difference health wise. :-(

It's got nothing to do with 'addiction', it's all about admitting to yourself that you want to give up. Addiction is just an excuse. Either you want to give up or you don't. If you do, then you will. If you don't, then don't try fooling yourself and others around you that there is some outside force making you do it.

smoking does become an addiction. proven. maybe just as bad or worse than hard drugs/alcohol in terms of addiction.

if someone has never smoked, then they wont have the addictive urge to smoke.

what i meant re the beers/meal was re the habit, which caro said.

but, like beating the others, yes, will power is important.

ps well done postmn

Been there, done it and got 20 T shirts. Will power isn't just important, willpower is the main thing. Just come clean you don't really want to give up.

well done to you. 20 is that all.

will power is v important. but it does become an addiction, as has been proven.

not a q of coming clean. i've already posted about it realistically.

and, i dont really want to take any notice from someone who advocates hit and run, yet says they hate cheats!

Morning Ford. I was on 3 to 4 packs per day and had been for years and loving every one of them, but I had the strength to call it a day and it happened because I wanted it to.

If you haven't the strength or confidence in yourself to give up then stop saying you are trying, just get on with it and enjoy them.

PS If you counting T shirts per cig, then I have 60 T shirts.

i dont really want to take any notice from someone who advocates hit and run, yet says they hate cheats!

This is the thing with smokers, they always find some excuse to try and justify why they haven't given up.

Edited by Conniff

Morning Ford. I was on 3 to 4 packs per day and had been for years and loving every one of them, but I had the strength to call it a day and it happened because I wanted it to.

If you haven't the strength or confidence in yourself to give up then stop saying you are trying, just get on with it and enjoy them.

PS If you counting T shirts per cig, then I have 60 T shirts.

This is the thing with smokers, they always find some excuse to try and justify why they haven't given up.

:)

good for you.

i've already acknowledged that despite stopping the cigarettes, i now have a cigar on occasions. and have enjoyed them, at the time :) so was no excuses, just posting about it. will see how it goes, and post about it if i want :) as the little green guy said, 'do. or do not'

re yr last point, that wasn't as an excuse, just in general. :)

• 1 year later...

if anyones still interested, still no cigs. but, still the odd cigar. and it is odd.

good stopping to all that choose to do so, choice is the best way. choose not to.

though if a cigar, have an ecig instead :)

I'm interested Ford :)

I just stopped today, got a e-cig on tuesday, had seven fags on tue, down to four on wed, three on thursday and two on friday.

Not had any today and tend to keep it that way :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

cheers, still going. is tough, especially now! for every want of a cig am having food or a beer!

You are replacing one habit with another. Practice makes perfect - good or bad.

Pick your habit, be it a short walk (as long as a cigarette would last) or even just walk up and down stairs for those 5 minutes.

Lazyness or doing other things will help you break more complex habits (when necessary) far easier than eating or smoking

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

I'm interested Ford :)

I just stopped today, got a e-cig on tuesday, had seven fags on tue, down to four on wed, three on thursday and two on friday.

Not had any today and tend to keep it that way :)

cheers. :)

stick to it maroondev. sounds corny, but do. choose not to smoke. if needs be have an ecig (no cigars) instead. and do the habit break toby mentions.

my last cigar was lfc v villareal. i'll have one more on wednesday, either way. then i will stop those too.