confussed Bank sent me a cheque don't no why

Rymitch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4196 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok this ones a bit weird

Bank sent Me a letter for an old account a couple of months ago saying I owed them money on it and were now sending it to a DCA to collect it for them.

Today came home found a letter from bank with a cheque for over 3 times what they claimed I had originally owed them. the letter seams to be from the same dept of the RBS credit management services even has the same name at the bottom Sue B

Letter says

My name

account number(same as the one they claim I owe money on) sort code

Balance £*.***.**

Fowlling balance reductions there remains a credit balance of £*.***.** which has been returned to you via the attached cheque.

This just doesn't seem right my luck is never that good is this legit or has somebody got a hold of my old account and trying to pull a fast one on me.

I did pay my old mortgage from this could it be some sort of PPI payment I had forgot all about.

If it turns out to be a mistake, they will come after you- hard and you will have to pay it back.

Much better to be upfront about this.

Don't return the cheque but write them a letter and ask them what it is for.

It is not worth playing around with this kind of thing.

You will feel fantastic if they give you a proper explanation.

If it is a mistake, then at least you won't have dug yourself Amy deeper into hole.

Don’t do this on the phone, ask the question in writing and get the answer in writing.

Edited by citizenB

It Says Nottingham City Office

* South Parade

its crossed a/c payee

Under the amount box its got

Nottingham CLC Managers Suspense where the sig is it has what looks like a signature and isu and some numbers. is that right

checked the sort code it belongs to an RBS bank in Nottingham so seems legit it just seem weird normally people are looking for large cheques from me not giving the to me.

so will put it in the bank and see what happen

I think this is suspect as the phone number and po box on the letter has came up as a pest caller and is linked to a Triton Credit Services I think its a dummy cheque so as to get me to deposit it into my bank account so they can get my contact details wich I think is a bit dodgey.

I think you are reading far too much in to this.

Call the bank in the morning and ask what it is for. If it is a mistake you can post it back. If not you can pay it in.

Also - please check Bankfodder's post. Paying this in would be folly unless you know it is money legitimately due to you.

I do agree with you & BankFodder as I know of no reason why I would get this cheque(so it would be wrong to cash it) especially on an old account that I haven't used in about 4 years.

That they said in their last letter I owed them money and they have been unable to contact me to agree to suitable repayment for the outstanding amount but they still send me my bank statements(I still say I don't owe them any money).So how could they not contact me.Taking a closer look at the cheque it printed out thou at first glance it looks as if it was writing by hand.Ok may be I am a bit paranoid as I have enough debtors after me that am trying to clear up I don't need anymore at the moment.

If it turns out that it was a DCA just fishing to see if this was me and I stay here is it legal for them to do that to confirm an address.

Just phone the bank in the morning and check the vailidity,conspiracy theories are no use nor are they helpfule!!!!!!!!!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 3 weeks later...