style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Another problem the DWP haven't taken into account and only discovered by myself is., Ingeus computers are alloted to each advisor one day per week for their clients. If a client doesn't have a computer how on earth could they go to Ingeus each day to use them so they can prove 35 hour jobsearch? Libraries only allow you 1 hour per session per day. I want to do another spec drop and as my printer is out of ink I asked my advisor if I could come in a week thursday. I could on go in on her alloted day for two hours, thats all she had left, the rest of the day was booked up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how the hell can you be expected to do 35 hours job search per week and how the hell are they going to make sure each claimant does 35 hours per week?!

this is going to be an epic fail :)

that's right Nystagmite and I couldn't get an hour booked recently as all the computers were prebooked on some days. my library is very near a college and students use it regularly, which is fine of course, but wouldn't be reliable for anyone having to depend on it for the 35hr per week job search. wonders who thinks these things up and whether they need the number of my psychiatrist.

how the hell can you be expected to do 35 hours job search per week and how the hell are they going to make sure each claimant does 35 hours per week?!

Agreed. You have some people who aren't that good with computers. So by the time they've looked on a few websites, worked out how to apply for jobs, etc. that may take them 35 hours a week. But it may take someone else half the time to do that.

I'll certainly be printing out a copy of that union statement re UJ to show to Jobcentre staff, as it's guaranteed most of THEM won't even be aware of it and will say it's 'now totally mandatory' to sign up.

Full credit to the PCS union for looking at UJ fairly and pointing out the flaws, rather than just going along with it and saying nothing.

If you don't use your own pc at home and have to attend the Jobcentre more or less daily to use theirs, are they prepared to pay travel costs? If they ask you to attend on a day which isn't your normal signing-on day they have to pay expenses. As I live out in the countryside my travel costs are over £6 per visit, multiply that by a few hundred thousand similarly-located claimants and things should get interesting!

I suspect a 35 hour a week jobsearch, won't be expected to be solely on computer - there'll be cold calling businesses on the phone, and dropping into businesses to ask if there are vacancies, visiting and calling agencies, making different CV's for different types of jobs, sending CV's to different companies etc etc.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Agreed. You have some people who aren't that good with computers. So by the time they've looked on a few websites, worked out how to apply for jobs, etc. that may take them 35 hours a week. But it may take someone else half the time to do that.

How can anyone spend 35 hours a week job searching?????

Unless the DWP intend to issue contracts to run Job Clubs locally, which if We assume that 1000 people sign on at a local JCP Office, will mean 50 Job Clubs would have to be managed with 20 people per job club (plus the staff to be on call), I suspect that the 35 hours rule would mean "35 hours of structured activity, including Job Search and preparing to enter the jobs market" - such as 2 hours per day job search and being mandated to spend 25 hours a week "Third Sector Forced Work".

If you use your work provider's PCs make sure you use Portable Firefox or similar. You don't want to leave your details splattered all over public terminals.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

If you use your work provider's PCs make sure you use Portable Firefox or similar. You don't want to leave your details splattered all over public terminals.

The trouble with that is they normally disable USB ports/ CD drives so no one can introduce any nasties.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

The trouble with that is they normally disable USB ports/ CD drives so no one can introduce any nasties.

Anyway all modern browsers have a "Private" or "Incognito" mode. And if you can disable javascript, Java and Flash.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Unless the DWP intend to issue contracts to run Job Clubs locally, which if We assume that 1000 people sign on at a local JCP Office, will mean 50 Job Clubs would have to be managed with 20 people per job club (plus the staff to be on call), I suspect that the 35 hours rule would mean "35 hours of structured activity, including Job Search and preparing to enter the jobs market" - such as 2 hours per day job search and being mandated to spend 25 hours a week "Third Sector Forced Work".

Ah, the good old job club..I love the smell of old newspapers in the morning (to paraphrase a famous film line). I hope they buy a better quality coffee this time :)

I have no doubt that some sort of forced work scheme will be implemented - it's the only way they'll know exactly where you are and what you're doing for most of the 35 hours !!!

They will probably introduce electronic ankle tags that explode if you stray from a terminal for more than the permitted toilet break.

Bring back the old Labour Exchange, complete with Charlie Drake and Mr Pugh, and everyone can arrive in the morning singing:

I gets up every mornin’ when the clock strikes eight,

I’m always punctual, never never late,

With a nice cup of tea, a little round of toast,

The Sporting Life and the Winning Post.

I gets all nice and cozy, then I toddles off to work,

I do the best I can

Cos I’m only a-doin’ what a bloke should do,

Cos I’m only a workin’ man!

(apologies to anyone under forty, because you won't remember the series!)

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

They will probably introduce electronic ankle tags that explode if you stray from a terminal for more than the permitted toilet break.

Bring back the old Labour Exchange, complete with Charlie Drake and Mr Pugh, and everyone can arrive in the morning singing:

I gets up every mornin’ when the clock strikes eight,

I’m always punctual, never never late,

With a nice cup of tea, a little round of toast,

The Sporting Life and the Winning Post.

I gets all nice and cozy, then I toddles off to work,

I do the best I can

Cos I’m only a-doin’ what a bloke should do,

Cos I’m only a workin’ man!

(apologies to anyone under forty, because you won't remember the series!)

Remembers it all too well ........................ all together now ................... :-):-):-) and, just going completely off-topic ............... why are there SO MANY security staff in JobCentres - just walking round ... doing nowt - walkie-talkies in hand?????

Impecunious! :-)

Imagine if the DWP suddenly had a fit of common sense and instead of consigning all the experienced administrators signing on to the scrap heap - directly employed them to work through their backlogs - wouldn't it work both ways... experienced staff available and work available for them?

Of course it is far too simple!

Interesting, so in short , its mandatory but its not. You could`t make it up. I will be printing the PCS page off & showing it to the advisor at my first meeting with them, i will try to agree a working deal with him/ her about a sensible & adult system that does not involve this silly UJM & happily provide job search proof . I have been warned that at my local JCP there is a particularly nasty woman who makes weekly appointments for dissenters & doesn`t like to be questioned or challenged, i`m told she is pedantic & deliberately spiteful with anyone who doesn`t follow orders. It looks like i will be calling into the JC on a daily basis.

Just one further question, Is it mandatory for the JCP to have / see a copy of your CV?, do we have to give out our personal details?... phone number ,email address , mobile number. The reason i ask is, i don`t want to be at their beck & call , if they require me to attend an appointment , then they can write to me , it also gives me time to form a plan of resistance [ if one is needed] .

Dont tell them you have an email, phone or mobile. If you aint got these then how can you tell them? If they ask say you have not got these things and you only want to be contacted by email.

Also dont put personal details on your UJM CV.

I suspect a 35 hour a week jobsearch, won't be expected to be solely on computer - there'll be cold calling businesses on the phone, and dropping into businesses to ask if there are vacancies, visiting and calling agencies, making different CV's for different types of jobs, sending CV's to different companies etc etc.

Can you claim back phone expenses, stationary and stamps also fuel expenses for all of this?

Can you claim back phone expenses, stationary and stamps also fuel expenses for all of this?

Silly question!! :oops: It's more stuff to come out of your JSA!!! You obviously go to JobCentre each fortnight to sign on (at your own expense) but I think, if you're required to attend interviews there outside your sign-on day/time, you can claim travel expenses/childcare - if carer is registered childminder. Now where did I read that?

Although I think if you're going to interviews (not those at employment agencies though), you can always ask the company to cover your expenses. Most of the jobs I'm interested in are in London and the South, so means lots of travel ........ If I haven't been offered expenses, I always ask and usually get them.

Would be interesting to hear what other peeps have to say!

Impecunious!:-)

Dont tell them you have an email, phone or mobile. If you aint got these then how can you tell them? If they ask say you have not got these things and you only want to be contacted by email.

Also dont put personal details on your UJM CV.

REDACT your CV in thick black marker :-) - they can't fail to notice that - then smile and nod! Your personal details are on a need to know basis!

Impecunious! :-)

Still rebelling at my age!!

Imagine if the DWP suddenly had a fit of common sense and instead of consigning all the experienced administrators signing on to the scrap heap - directly employed them to work through their backlogs - wouldn't it work both ways... experienced staff available and work available for them?

Of course it is far too simple!

I think they'd probably love to employ more staff - certainly, my former colleagues are rushed off their feet. But ever since the recession started, government departments are pretty much stuck with a recruitment freeze. A real shame because, as you say, it would be an ideal solution.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Silly question!! :oops: It's more stuff to come out of your JSA!!! You obviously go to JobCentre each fortnight to sign on (at your own expense) but I think, if you're required to attend interviews there outside your sign-on day/time, you can claim travel expenses/childcare - if carer is registered childminder. Now where did I read that?

Although I think if you're going to interviews (not those at employment agencies though), you can always ask the company to cover your expenses. Most of the jobs I'm interested in are in London and the South, so means lots of travel ........ If I haven't been offered expenses, I always ask and usually get them.

Would be interesting to hear what other peeps have to say!

Impecunious!:-)

Even if you get an interview via an agency, state that you will confirm attendance subject to the employer confirming that all travelling expenses would be reimbursed. Some agencies will dither, and state that the employer wont, but persist.

In one case, an agency submitted my CV for a position within London, an interview was arranged, and agreed to attend subject to this constraint. The agency clerk said that they would approach the employer, and get back to me. The return rail ticket for London was about £200.

The day before the interview, the agency clerk telephoned, and asked if I was still going to the interview. I confirmed that I would, subject to expenses being reimbursed, and they expressed surprise that I had not been appraised. But they said they would contact the employer, and seek urgent confirmation.

I received no confirmation, and the next day, I received a call from the agency clerk asking why I hadn't attended the interview. I stated that attendance at the interview was subject to confirmation that travelling expenses would be reimbursed, and that no confirmation was provided.

Quite fortuitously, I wrote to the employer, and apollogised for being unable to attend the interview given that the agency had been unable to confirm that travelling expenses would be reimbursed. The employer replied by saying that they always reimburse Travelling Expenses.

I think they'd probably love to employ more staff - certainly, my former colleagues are rushed off their feet. But ever since the recession started, government departments are pretty much stuck with a recruitment freeze. A real shame because, as you say, it would be an ideal solution.

Three issues arise.

Firstly - even as far back as 1999, it was reported that the Government were trying to sell off the Job Centre Plus Offices to the Private Sector, David Blunkett running the department

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/blunkett-may-sell-job-centres-estate-to-private-contractor-1125408.html

Secondly - I think that the Security Staff are employed by G4S.

Thirdly - even before the Recruitment Freeze, there had been a tendency for the DWP to recruit staff on short term contracts. Given the significance of the Welfare To Work Sector, I can appreciate that JCP Staff do not feel secure at the changes impacting on a core part of the Public Service, and a fair minded candidate will always sympathise with their predicament. It is even worse now with the Welfare Reform Bill, the impact on Benefit Uprating, changes in Council Tax from April 1 2013, and the change to Universal Credit.

Edited by RebeccaPidgeon
Additional Information Submitted

Completed my phone claim for JSA this morning, got an appointment to see an advisor on Friday. Already told the woman who took my phone claim , i don`t have access to BB or a home phone. She was very sceptical, asking who`s phone i was calling on, i said i had access to my neighbours phone for the purpose of making the claim as it was a free number but that was all, she then outlined the local facilities for internet access. she asked me if i had a copy of my CV, i said i did`t have a hard copy , she suggested i e-mail the advisor with a copy when i had my meeting.

Is it mandatory to supply a copy of your CV? .

Snowy101 you are heading for a complete fail with the DWP, they already have your address and phone details (you can leave the phone off your CV), what is the problem? They are there to help you, not hinder you - and as you are hindering them they will use every trick in the book against you.

The way I see it is if you tell them you don't have IT connections at home they will have you in their offices two or three times a week for 2 hours at a time, and make you apply for jobs beneath your experience.

You also could be sanctioned almost immediately for not providing a CV (yes, it is compulsory as part of the initial signing on process).

It is all very well trying to start a rebellion but there is a time and a place for that.... and not when you are initially signing on.