The Gym Group cancelled before first payment

Rogerboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I need some advice.

I signed up and it said payment will be taken in 20 days or so. I went to their gym once for 20 minutes, was really dissapointed at the equipment and decided to cancel after about 4-5 days. I cancelled through the site and it says to cancel direct debit. So I cancelled that in the bank web interface but the gym group is still logged in as if the membership wasn't cancelled. I even re logged and its still the same.

My question is, did I do everything alright or will they still try and demand money from me? I mean I haven't paid anything yet at all and cancelled within 7 days. I just dont want them in 10 days to suddenly say 'Hey where is the direct debit you need to pay 35 quid.'

Thanks

Hi Rogerboy and welcome to CAG

1. Did you sign up in the gym itself or online.

2. What was the minimum m/ship period that you agreed to join for.

3. Did you send an email or letter to the gym at the time of cancelling, or since.

If not, do so now saying you tried to cancel your m/ship but the system is still showing you as a member. Tell them you cancelled because the gym facilities were inadequate and not what you'd expect because [whatever reasons you believe applied].

4. Have you cancelled the DD mandate directly with your bank. If not, there's a good chance the DD will be taken by the gym.

5. What are your reasons for finding the gym so disappointing.

I cannot say whether you actually have the right to cancel until I have your answers. So the decision to cancel the DD must be yours alone.

It's likely the gym or their admin company will try to add admin charges for late or non payment. Such charges are penalties and should not be enforceable in law.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Rogerboy and welcome to CAG

I cannot say whether you actually have the right to cancel until I have your answers. So the decision to cancel the DD must be yours alone.

It's likely the gym or their admin company will try to add admin charges for late or non payment. Such charges are penalties and should not be enforceable in law.

:wink:

I was a member of The Gym Group a few years back, and most likely they will try and claim the £30 admin charge for the DD failing, but unless anything has changed, there is no minimum period you have to be a member for and also you can cancel at anytime without notice.

When I cancelled my membership, cancelling the DD was all you needed to do to cancel the membership.