Barclay - HDFC bank transfer issue with a University

sarin.kane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This issue involves Barclays bank/HDFC back (india) and a University.

My brother has enrolled into a university which has fees of 16600 GBP (14,98,814(@90.29) INR). He issued a Demand Draft from the local bank in India (HDFC) and went to London.

When he first Presented the Draft to the University, I was told that theres something wrong with the DD and so please arrange to pay by bank transfer. He contacted HDFC bank regarding this and they sent him a mail in 2-3 days saying the problem has been solved so kindly represent the DD back to the Univ. What was the problem and why the transfer didnt take place in the first place he had no idea neither did HDFC bank mention this in their mail. When he told the Univeristy that has been told to represent the DD again they said your DD has been lost but anyways it didnt get processed the first time so its his fault and as such you need to get a valid DD again or pay by bank transfer. That is when he thought he will do as the university wants him to do.

But Now the problem is the earlier DD cost him 14,98,814(@90.29) INR, the Refund given to us by Barclays Bank is 14,05,688(@84.68). and When my mother enquired about bank transfer today it will cost me 14,59,638 (@87.93) as on 29/10/2012 incurring me a loss of 1,53,950 INR which is completely unfair to us because we have absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Please help us out what action can we take against the Barclays bank

Regards

Sarin Kane

Welcome sarin.

As this is specifically a Uk consumer website, your amounts in INR don't mean a lot. You haven't said if this is Barclays UK or Barclays India.

We will attempt to help if possible, but you will have to make it easier to understand.

Hello Conniff

Sorry for not mentioning it is Barclays UK. The transfer of the funds was done from HDFC bank (india) to Barclays UK.

Amount Transferred through DD to Barclays -- 16,600 GBP ( Rs. 14,98,814 @ 90.29)

Amount transferred by Barclays to HDFC as refund - 16,600 GBP (Rs. 14,05,688 @ 84.68) Loss in INR - 93126 (around 1000 GBP)

Amount now which the has to be transferred as per university - 16,600 GBP (Rs. 14,59,638 @ 87.93) Loss in INR - Rs. 53950

The main issue I feel is the University says it has lost the Demand Draft and because of that it has asked to resubmit the payment.

I want to know what action can be taken on this ?

Regards

Sarin

Hi Sarin,

Problems with international transfers are often hard to resolve because the banks involved tend to always blame the other bank. It is difficult to find out exactly who is at fault.

The only thing that you know for sure is that the University has lost the Demand Draft. So the first thing to do is ask that they make a thorough search for the DD and tell them that getting a new DD will cost you £1,672 due to exchange rates and/or commission.

You ask what action you can take against Barclays Bank. However, how do you know for sure that it was not a fault caused by the Indian bank, HDFC ?

You need to try to establish exactly why the Demand Draft was not honoured in the first place and if someone was at fault.

If the University can't find the DD, than you should complain that they have caused a problem that will cost you £xxxx and they should pay any loss that you incur as a result of their neglect.

Or, if the banks are at fault, you could try to persuade them to carry out the transfer honouring the original exchange rates, and so avoid the loss.

Let us know how you get on with this.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)