Income Support and unemployed daughter

ROSE28454
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4244 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am on Carer's allowance and Income Support. I also get Council Tax Benefit.

My 26 year old daughter is unemployed and living with her boyfriend. She has applied for Unemployment benefit and is waiting to hear the decision but it appears that as he works she may not get anything. I am not sure about the rules concerning Income Support but wonder if she would be more likely to get the benefit if she moved back with me. Any idea anyone

Not quite sure but think that is the case. She has worked on an off for the last 10 years and her last full time job was Jan to September 2011 and then she had a part time October till April but no many hours each week.

He could support her but she does not really want him to have too.

Unemployment Benefit has been called Jobseekers Allowance for some time now, so if you see us refer to "JSA" that's what we mean.

As a member of a couple and with insufficient NI contributions (stamp) to claim JSA based on that, her partner's income will be considered as part of any application for means tested JSA. There isn't really a way to avoid that - couples are expected to support each other. Indeed, that's normally seen as part of what being a couple means. Also, as noted above, she doesn't seem to have grounds to claim Income Support, based on what you've told us so far.

So, if she moves back in with you, would a claim for JSA be successful? The answer is...maybe. OK, not very helpful, I realise. I'll try to explain.

The issue, for the DWP, is "are they living together as husband and wife?" In most cases, not sharing a residence is a strong indication that they are not living together as husband and wife, but it's not the only thing they consider. For example, do they share bank accounts? Loans or other financial commitments? Pay the rent on a property jointly? Each case is judged individually as there's no specific definition in law of what constitutes a couple. For that reason, we can't say for sure what any decision would be.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Unemployment Benefit has been called Jobseekers Allowance for some time now, so if you see us refer to "JSA" that's what we mean.

As a member of a couple and with insufficient NI contributions (stamp) to claim JSA based on that, her partner's income will be considered as part of any application for means tested JSA. There isn't really a way to avoid that - couples are expected to support each other. Indeed, that's normally seen as part of what being a couple means. Also, as noted above, she doesn't seem to have grounds to claim Income Support, based on what you've told us so far.

So, if she moves back in with you, would a claim for JSA be successful? The answer is...maybe. OK, not very helpful, I realise. I'll try to explain.

The issue, for the DWP, is "are they living together as husband and wife?" In most cases, not sharing a residence is a strong indication that they are not living together as husband and wife, but it's not the only thing they consider. For example, do they share bank accounts? Loans or other financial commitments? Pay the rent on a property jointly? Each case is judged individually as there's no specific definition in law of what constitutes a couple. For that reason, we can't say for sure what any decision would be.

She is not claiming Income Support and does not intend to as she knows she would not qualify. I think maybe the lady at jobcentre said her application was on Contributions paid basis. Yes she has been living with boyfriend but mortgage and all bills are in his name. They do not have joint bank account or any joint loans or suchlike. The only thing she usually pays for is food , her phone bill and petrol. They are engaged and her not having a job is putting a strain on their relationship at the moment. She was not going to apply for unemployment but I encouraged her as I told her even if she got no money her NI would be paid.

She is not claiming Income Support and does not intend to as she knows she would not qualify. I think maybe the lady at jobcentre said her application was on Contributions paid basis. Yes she has been living with boyfriend but mortgage and all bills are in his name. They do not have joint bank account or any joint loans or suchlike. The only thing she usually pays for is food , her phone bill and petrol. They are engaged and her not having a job is putting a strain on their relationship at the moment. She was not going to apply for unemployment but I encouraged her as I told her even if she got no money her NI would be paid.

Sorry to hear that their current financial situation is causing them to have relationship issues. I am afraid I'm not much help on the practical side of things but I do think that the idea that a live in partner will automatically support their out of work or sick /disabled partner is problematic. I've seen this issue put strain on many relationships over the past few years one partner loses their job and struggles to find work and while their may be a grace period of support after a while the working partner can become resentful. I know that couple are meant to support each other but things have changes so that nowadays two wages really are needed to run a home so for one person to take all the load it can be frustrating especially if new employment is not forth coming.

Perhaps part of it is selfishness, that these days even in couples or marriages there can be a tendency to keep money seperate i.e. what I earn is mine after I pay my share of the bills, rather than pooling resources but I do think it is more that one wage is not enough.

I know one couple who have been together for a few years but can't take the step to move in together as the woman is too ill to work and he cannot afford to keep them both. Moving in together would mean her losing all her benefit money so the both continue living at home with parents, she hope to get well enough to find a job and is always worried that one day he might get fed up weighting on a disabled woman and leave her for someone who could contribute more to the relationship. As far as I can see this situation is only set to get worse and there is real human tragedy here.

Sorry to hear that their current financial situation is causing them to have relationship issues. I am afraid I'm not much help on the practical side of things but I do think that the idea that a live in partner will automatically support their out of work or sick /disabled partner is problematic. I've seen this issue put strain on many relationships over the past few years one partner loses their job and struggles to find work and while their may be a grace period of support after a while the working partner can become resentful. I know that couple are meant to support each other but things have changes so that nowadays two wages really are needed to run a home so for one person to take all the load it can be frustrating especially if new employment is not forth coming.

Perhaps part of it is selfishness, that these days even in couples or marriages there can be a tendency to keep money seperate i.e. what I earn is mine after I pay my share of the bills, rather than pooling resources but I do think it is more that one wage is not enough.

I know one couple who have been together for a few years but can't take the step to move in together as the woman is too ill to work and he cannot afford to keep them both. Moving in together would mean her losing all her benefit money so the both continue living at home with parents, she hope to get well enough to find a job and is always worried that one day he might get fed up weighting on a disabled woman and leave her for someone who could contribute more to the relationship. As far as I can see this situation is only set to get worse and there is real human tragedy here.

Hi

Thanks for your input. It's very true

Rose

• 2 weeks later...

it is now 19 working days since she applied and no decision. She rings every day and gets a different answer. Firstly they havent made a decision, then they said the claim is not even on the system, then it was sent to the wrong office, then they will make a decision about a same day payment, then no phone call, then when she calls again they said again they cant find the claim. She has to call an 0845 no ( which she has to pay for)for all these calls.

When she went in to sign on and visit her advisor they offered her a work placement for 8 weeks ( 4 hours a day) with a recruitment agency for which she will get her benifit( if it is awarded), petrol money and at the end a reference.

She went to see the lady today and the lady was lovely and she starts a week Monday. So its not as if she is not trying but they cant seem to get it right.

Any idea who to call tommorow to see what is happening??

she just phoned me in tears. She has been turned down on the basis that she has not paid enough NI. If she applies on Income Basis she will probably be turned down as I think he earns over the threshold. She is more upset that they took so long to tell her aswell. She says she is not going to do the job next week as it will mean working for nothing. I told her to hang fire before she calls them. The only solution seems to be she move home with me for a while and do a new claim.