abusive ex taking me to court

dollsteak83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i wonder if anyone can give me any advice, sorry if this is he wrong place.

i left my abusive ex as he made my life hell. he's now got a judgment in default against me for bills and a loan that are all in his name he says i agreed to pay half. i have received a bit of legal aid but am basically told to get the judgment set aside i need to go and face him in court and put mys side across. while this sounds straight forward i am terrified and its keeping me awake at night. i left our home with a carrier bag of stuff. i never went to the police about the abuse but its documented on my medical records. btw i only found the judgement on checking public records after a problem with credit.

thanks for any advice in advance.

Hello and Welcome dollsteak83,

I've moved this thread to our Legal Issues Forum, hopefully you'll get some advice shortly.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

thank you for your reply. i just cant face him. i know i sound pathetic but i just cant. is there any way i can do this without being any where near him

Is there a local domestic violence support group in your phone book, speak to someone there for advice. They will know all the options available to women in your situation and they can usually help with someone to accompany you to these sort of things if you do have to attend.

Asides from dealing with this matter you need their support anyway, just to get through the next few years of re-building yourself.

You must apply for the setaside. It is very straightforward and there is pretty well a presumption that you will succeed.

Once you have done that, then we can help you further.

It is essential to get the setaside. Get one or two people to come into the court with you and make sure that they are there outside to witness anything which might be said to you.

Unless there was something in writing that you signed saying you are liable for half the debts, then theres a very good chance of a set aside happening.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi sorry to hear about your troubles, there should be a Domestic safety unit or Domestic Abuse Unit with your local Police, they are made up of staff and volunteers from many different agencies, not just Police and will have someone to support you, the line you should take is as it is 'you are so frightened of your ex and the abuse that you are fearful to face that ex in a civil court', you should be allocated a case worker that will advise and assist you.

Domestic abuse is a serious matter and the unit should take your needs seriously, if they dont ask to see an inspector to make a complaint.

Domestic abuse is not now only limited to physical violence, the definition used by the authorities now encompasses mental, physical, emotional, sexual, financial and any other abuse or situation where a victim is held at a disadvantage by an abuser or 'controlling' partner or family member.

I hope this helps, and good luck

I am fighting it all the way :-x