Civil Penalties for overpayments

ErikaPNP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There was talk of this happening earlier on in the year. A memo has now been released to DWP staff and I've been able to obtain a copy which is in the attachment.

The gist of it is that from 1st October, there is to be a civil penalty at the set amount of £50 applied to all DWP overpayments where the claimant is at fault. Local authorities can also apply the penalty for HB/CTB overpayments.

The relevant legislation which comes into force on 1st October 2012 can be linked to by clicking here

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

That's it sorted now, sequenci - my apologies, I must have mistyped the link

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

For the DWP to pay £50 for each time that they are careless & not considering information carefully enough resulting in (a) the failure to award a benefit and/or (b) making an award for less than it is found to be due.

Which would be fair and proper, but we are talking about the government here so fair and proper does not come into it.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Paving the way for more of the governments free enterprise buddy's, how long before the ad's start appearing on TV 'Why run the risk of a £50 penalty? let us complete your forms for a small fee'

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Paving the way for more of the governments free enterprise buddy's, how long before the ad's start appearing on TV 'Why run the risk of a £50 penalty? let us complete your forms for a small fee'

With legal aid going, and other advice sources stressed to breaking point, I see no problem with someone experienced helping to complete forms like DLA, PIP, ESA50 for a small fee (as long as it is a small fee). Some people will be really glad of this type of service. The difficulty will be unscrupulous, inexperienced firms taking advantage for an excessive fee.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

With legal aid going, and other advice sources stressed to breaking point, I see no problem with someone experienced helping to complete forms like DLA, PIP, ESA50 for a small fee (as long as it is a small fee). Some people will be really glad of this type of service. The difficulty will be unscrupulous, inexperienced firms taking advantage for an excessive fee.

Now there is an idea, seeing as those wishing to embark on self employment under Universal Cosh need to have a 'gateway' interview, using the above as a business plan should really impress HM Gov.

I wonder what happens if the "helper" puts in information given by a person and that is incorrect but they do not know that? Sometimes a confused person believes things that are not true, especially those with mental health or memory issues, but anyone stressed can forget or get muddled, we are human after all.

Without checking all the details the risk would be borne by the "helper" if not careful...

I wonder what happens if the "helper" puts in information given by a person and that is incorrect but they do not know that? Sometimes a confused person believes things that are not true, especially those with mental health or memory issues, but anyone stressed can forget or get muddled, we are human after all.

Without checking all the details the risk would be borne by the "helper" if not careful...

I don't know about anyone else, but when helping someone complete a form, I read back each section I write to confirm that the information is accurately recorded, the claimant then signs the form, so the responsibility is theirs. If someone seems confused to me, I always ask a family member if they are prepared to confirm the information written is correct and sign on behalf of the claimant. If someone has no family or friends and appears confused, it is then necessary to get social service involvement - if the person is too confused to help with the completion of the form, then an assessment by health/social care professional can tell me the care needs of the claimant.

Yes, though, if someone is filling in a form for a claimant, and filled out incorrect information for a vulnerable claimant, unable to check the form themselves, then undoubtedly they would become liable for the fine, and possibly civil action regarding the overpayment from the claimant.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop