Claiming for items purchased online

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I wonder if anyone could help

My daughter was involved in a caravan fire (suspected arson) whilst working abroad this summer. She basically lost everything apart from the clothes she was standing in and her laptop and phone which were still one her lap when she woke up by the fire!

She had travel insurance purchased through the company she worked for.

A number of electrical items I had bought her over the last couple of years were lost (tablet, camera and ipod). I still have the the original emails sent from these companies when these items were purchased.

I have printed these emails off but they are saying they want original receipts. I still have the boxes for two of the items and the only paperwork that came with them were paperwork for returns.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

The Insurers should accept any proof confirming ownership/purchase of items, per the FOS guidelines. The FOS say that people will not always be able to provide receipts, so Insurers should accept other relevant proof of ownership/purchase. Insurers will always ask for receipts first, but they will accept other proof, if you can't get hold of.

In regard to any claim on Travel Insurance, the personal effects cover is normally very limited. Has she checked on other cover that she may have. e.g Home Insurance for where she was living. Home Insurance may or may not cover the circumstances, as it depends on what cover was on the policy and there will be an excess. I would expect the Travel Insurers to ask about Home Insurance and for them to try to seek a contribution from them if they can. So a claim may be made on Home Insurance anyway, if she was worried about premium increases, so purposefully did not look at this option.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I paid for them on my credit card, I wouldn't be able to get all of the statements but would have some. I'm a bit concerned now because its dawning on me that I have actually bought these items but she is claiming for them because I gave them to her as gifts so I'm not sure where she stands with this. She is a uni student in halls so as far as I know doesn't have contents insurance.

Thanks again for the advice.