Previous employer gave a bad reference

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my gf is also in the same boat, her employer said that she wudent hire her again, she was a poor time keeper, which is a load of crap cuz i take her to work, shes always bwt half hour early, and her employer said she doesnt listen to certain requests given by managers, now she applied to a place and was turnd down becuz of how bad this reference was, now she doesnt knw what to do about this, shes applied for another job, but has got her old manage down as the reference, and wants to take her off it, but is worried what the new place will say.

She might not listen and she might be late back from breaks. Can you prove she wasn't? probably not. Got money for a solicitor?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I would therefore start with a polite conversation with the person who wrote the reference asking if there had been a mi x up. Fast cheap and may work.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

If you agreed to resign rather than return to work were you about to be dismissed? but were allowed to leave instead if so I would be looking at other ways of getting a reference as its unlikley that this company will give you one.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Speak to the reference provider and explain the difficulties there actions are causing her. If this fails, speak or write to the person in charge of the reference provider and state that the references provided contain untrue information and that this is causing difficulties for your girlfriend and damaging the image of your company. Write to any company which receives a bad reference, stating the true facts.

If this fails and the references contain false information you can sue for damages (or threaten to, which will probably end the bad references). The onus is on the employer to prove that the information on the references is true, not for you to prove that it is not.

The employer may well bveleive the things he is writing in his reference to be true, not listening well the only people who can say that are the people who were there at the time. being late well as previously said she may well have been late back from breaks lunch etc if the ex employer sticks to what he has said then I cant see there is anything to be done about it.

Try a reasoned approach to the exemployer and if that dosnt work use another person as a ref in future.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Certainly the employer can be challenged as to whether statements were made on a reasonable basis, if this is done it is for the employer to prove what they are saying is true or based on reasonable assumptions, was it recorded that she was late, was she asked if she was listening, etc? If the employer is given a reference saying that someone was late and they in fact weren't or were never challenged about it this is potentially damaging and could leave the reference provider open to action.