Comet - personal injury from faulty fridge/freezer installation

consumer cath
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there - am new to this forum just want some advice whether to pursue my story further or just give up!

Very brief history:

12 June - Comet delivered integrated fridge/freezer ordered online - could not install fully as cabinet doors of different fixing mechanism to the previous appliance and now needed hinges. So installed appliance in cabinet but without the cabinet doors

4 July - fridge door came away at top and fell on my left arm causing bad bruising

15 July - Comet came to inspect (had come before bot gone to wrong address!!) and agreed it was not fixed properly and I needed an exchange. Agreed to refund installation fee

5 August - still no word from Comet. Whole door fell off - luckily I caught it before it smashed on my feet Emailed Comet. Furious.

7 August - exchange hastily arrived. Installers very helpful - said top screw of appliance being removed had not been fixed on properly which was why the door had fallen off. Not able to install in cabinet (because no hinges) so left as free standing. Confirmed refund of installation fee. Assured me that appliance fine as stand alone and door would not fall off

8 August - email exchange with Comet to confirm exchange had taken place. However I asked them what happened next in terms of I now have an appliance that is not installed (cos they can't - fine - will get kitchen fitter) but no apology / concern / compensation for me being injured by their negligence. They offered me £30 for "inconvenience". I said not happy - they told me to write to Customer Services (Clevedon)

20 August - finally drummed up energy to write to Customer Services, got letter back 31 August "clarifying their position" - they will only offer me £30 as the door fell on me "due to the fact that the hinges were not in place when the item was delivered to your property"

Just composing a letter back to them now to say that no, the door fell off because the screw was loosened on the top (their negligence) and that the second installation team had assured me the appliance is also fine as a stand alone appliance and that the door will NOT fall off simply because it is not attached to cabinet doors. I am saying in the letter that their information contradicts itself and their website clearly states (section 11.2 ) "There are certain things that We can't limit or exclude Our liability for (such as where We negligently cause personal injury . . ."

BUT am just getting fed up with this now. I am back to work next week and haven't the time or energy to keep getting pushed from pillar to post. I'm not bothered about the money to be honest - but just feel angry at the shoddy treatment I've had and the way Comet really don't seem to like their customers!

Advise me please - is this worth pursuing further (if so, how?) or should I just say yes to the £30 , be done with the whole sorry episode, and put it down to bad experience?

Many thanks!!

Yes it is worth pursuing - as long as you are prepared to take a small claim to the county court. This is a quick and easy process and once you begin the claim it is likley that Comet will take you more seriously and deal with the matter to avoid a court hearing - although this is not guaranteed.

You should put together a full chonology of everything that has happened.

Take pictures

Did you take pictures of any injuries?

Did you go to a doctor?

Decide what you want - do you want it properly fitted? Was that part of the original deal? Whose responsibility was it to get the new hinges?

Has there been any damage to the fridge when the door came away?

Itemise all of your losses, inconvenience, describe the injury, how much pain, how long it lasted, bruising etc.

Send Comet on eletter laying it all out and telling them that you want the fridge properly fitted plus, say £300 compensation for trouble, expense, personal injury, inconvenience.

Tell them that if they don't sort it out within 14 days that you will go ahead and sue without any further notice.

If you aren't prepared to take this action then don't make the threat but be preapred to settle in for the long ride or accept a humiliating £30 and the continuation of the problem - it's up to you

Hi consumer

Welcome to CAG

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do. I would also send a Complaint to your local Trading Standards, make sure Comets know that your doing that, as there's a Health & Safety Issue here.

Send it to:-

Bob Darke, Managing Director

bob.darke@comet.co.uk

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.