After a stay has been granted can it just be lifted?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Put simply.

I defended a summons on the basis that I felt the companies case was wrong in many respects, but I was paying off the amount owed anyway because there was no dispute that I owed the money.

They didn't challenge my defence and the action was automatically stayed.

Two thirds of the account is now settled but they say I missed a payment (I didn't, they are cretins) and they sent me a letter saying that they would apply for the stay to be lifted and for judgement to be entered against me for the remaining balance without further notice to me.

I'm not bothered about their threats as such because I have made the payment, but CAN they get the stay lifted and enforce judgement when my defence is still valid? I'd just like to hit them with both barrels and tell them to **** off and let their clients know how useless they are to be honest.

As the claim was stayed, there is no judgment to enforce, they would have to apply to court for the stay to be lifted - pay the fee applicable - then they would have to take their chances the court would find in their favour.

Given that you have been making payments, I think they might have a pretty hard time explaining to the judge why they have decided to lift the stay.. on top of which, the judge might not even find in their favour !!

Yes, your defence is still valid and is very likely why, if it is a good defence, why they did not continue with the action originally.

I would leave things as they are and see what happens next.

Or you could put the ball back in their court and say fine.. go ahead, I look forward to hearing from the court.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You can check with the court to find out the status of the account - if it is still stayed or not :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes, your defence is still valid and is very likely why, if it is a good defence, why they did not continue with the action originally.

Or you could put the ball back in their court and say fine.. go ahead, I look forward to hearing from the court.

Thanks for that. Yes it was a good defence, because it showed that they, the debt collection company, had basically broken several rules/laws with regard to letters before action and pre-action protocol and at the very least would have taken up their time and caused them some embarrassment.

After the action was stayed they then sent me a Tomlin Order which I obviously ignored and now they are trying to say that I have defaulted on my agreement twice despite the fact that I never had an agreement with them and have made payments 'as quickly as possible' which is all I ever said I would do. The Tomlin Order, needless to say had a confidentiality clause in it, which is the main reason that I ignored because one day I will spill the beans on these useless imbeciles, (although if you read any of my few other posts you will quickly be able to see who we are talking about)!

Maybe I should just do as you say and put the ball back in their court! To be honest they are so bloody useless they are either a. trying to save face with their clients, or b. don't actually realise how crap they are! I think that it's 'b' myself!

Or all of the above :lol:

It does look as though they have lost the plot.. but then so many of them never had it to lose in the first place !!

BCOBS