Comet - desktop pc faulty after 18 months-what are my rights?

et8470
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I purchased a HP desktop pc from Comet in Feb 2011 and had no problems until Jan 2012,

when I started getting blue screens/crashing/not switching on.

Sent back to HP for repair and they did a BIOS upgrade and system restore.

Worked ok until last week when I started getting errors, blue screens again.

I have spoken to HP who stated as the pc was outside its 12month warranty they would charge me for any advice/repair.

I have also spoken to Comet who said the same thing.

After getting advise from CAB I was told that Comet are my port of call as they are ultimately responsible.

But for how long?

I have had a engineers report done today which came back with a memory stick fault and could cost £80 for him to repair.

Am I liable for any repairs now?

How does the sale of goods act protect me in this instance when goods have to be 'satisfactory and fit for purpose'

As other things could go wrong with pc before the 6 years is up?

Thanks. It would be good to fully understand the rules.

Despite what the report says, your problems are pointing to a software problem and not hardware. You should clean up the system, maybe even going as far as a system recovery.

HP has a facility where you can do either a destructive recovery or a non destructive recovery where your files are not touched. Try the non destructive recovery and see if everything is ok.

If it is a software problem,and you ask Comet to fix it, Comet can make a charge as they have said.

RAM stick is THEIR PROBLEM..

warranty makes NO DIFFERANCE

demand a replacement of the RAM under SOGA

as itr was in the PC from birth.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well, you have an engineers report saying it's ram, however the fact that a bios flash and the hard disk getting re-imaged to factory default fixed it last time suggests to me a software issue.

Faulty ram can cause BSOD, it just seems a little inconsistent.

Let me know what operating system you're running and I'll tell you how to check the memory on it.

Whilst you wait for me to reply, backup all documents to a USB stick or blank CD / DVD, just in case.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

FWIW

i've had three in since easter!!

these were win7 pc's with +2gb RAM

and they dont go until lots of things are running.

all three sticks were 2nd inline and failed toward the end of the memory test- strange

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well, assuming it's Windows 7 (as it's an 18 month old PC) repetadly Press F8 on boot up, when presented with the menu for "Safe Mode", press Escape. Then press TAB to select the built in memory tester.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar