style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I went through a very short phase (not even a month) of shoplifting, mainly out of necessity (or so I thought at the time),

due to lack of income and food, which very soon escalated to stealing anything, whether I needed it or not.

I would feel so bad about it when I got home,

I would donate my stolen goods to the charity shops in my area.

I was so wreckless, that I would blatently steal whilst people or cameras were watching me.

I have now been referred to a Psychologist, whom I see regularly, and realise why I went through that phase,

but am still terribly ashamed of it (the shoplifting).

I think the shoplifting was due to my having a serious mental breakdown, and I guess this was my cry for help.

I now no longer shoplift, which is great, but I now have a criminal record, have paid a fine of £85,

and now have to pay Scotcall Limited on behalf of a store a sum to the value of £137.50.

I really don't mind paying the debt, but wonder whether they have the right to claim for goods which I am not in possession of, as they took back the goods.

I don't need slagging off, as I have already beaten myself up over my actions, but would like some input as to whether I am legally bound to pay the £137.50 to Scotcall Limited?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has constructive input.

Many thanks.

Hi short

Welcome to CAG

Could you provide more details relating to the debt?

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

they have no remit in law.

read this forum.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

scottcall may turn up at your address wanting there money they have no right to be on your property tell them to do one

they have as much power as a snail in your garden

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

In short, there is no debt, so Scotcall have no business demanding money.

I suggest that you send a letter (get proof of posting) to Scotcall:

Dear Sirs

Your ref: xxxxxxx

Any liability to you or any company you represent is denied.

No further correspondence will be entered into.

Yours etc.

The key things to remember are:

- Claims such as these, by retailers through agents such as RLP who then use DCAs like Scotcall, do not represent actual losses, and have no basis in law.

- The only way that there could legitimately be a debt in a case like this is where the retailer has issued a court claim and won (but see below)

- Very, very few claims have been issued by retailers. Of these, in the only case where the claim was properly defended (the Oxford case), and which involved two girls who had admitted theft and been dealt with by the criminal justice system, the retailer lost.

- Neither RLP nor Scotcall can take anyone to court; they are not solicitors and have no cause of action. So, whilst they make a lot of noise about going to court (and you will know that empty vessels make the most noise!), only the retailer can bring an action, and to reiterate, such cases are extremely rare.

Once you have sent the denial of liability letter (and send just what's above - don't be tempted to go into any detail of what happened, your illness, or anything else), just ignore anything else that they send.

We recommend that you read up a few of the threads here; in the stickies you'll find details of CAB's reports into the unsavoury practice of civil recovery, the judgement in the Oxford case, and lots of other info.

Any questions, just ask.