County court judgment issued for incorrect tuition fee bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am not sure how common this is for the indigenous students of London?

Almost two years ago, I studied for a Masters (Msc) degree at a leading London University in a Mathematics based subject. 99% of the students on the course were overseas Indian students. For some unknown reason I was charged the exact same tuition fees as the overseas Indian students. I should have only been charged £3,000 but I was charged £12,000.

I complained non-stop to the universities finance department and they attempted to correct the mistake but failed to do anything to resolve it. I was then officially suspended from the university for not paying the £12,000 tuition fees within the agreed time. This meant I could not attend lectures, sit exams or hand in project work. I complained to the course tutor but I was ignored. I complained to the head of the finance department but I was ignored. I complained to the head of the Mathematics department but I was ignored. I have never received a reply from anyone at the university.

I wrote further emails and letters to the university finance department. None have ever been acknowledged. I then received a letter from the University bailiff company demanding I pay £12,000 plus their administration charges.

I decided to change my approach by escalating the matter to my local MP. My MP managed to persuade the university to see its failures. I received a revised bill of £3,000. No explanation was given for their mistakes.

I was still deeply disappointed at the way my education and time had been wasted. The university expects the full tuition fees to be paid. Why should I pay for a course which I have not received? I should have only been charged for the six weeks I attended the university. None of this was my fault.

I find myself in a situation where I have been issued with a county court judgement for £3,495. How can I reverse this or even fight it?

I am not sure how common this is for the indigenous students of London?

Almost two years ago, I studied for a Masters (Msc) degree at a leading London University in a Mathematics based subject. 99% of the students on the course were overseas Indian students. For some unknown reason I was charged the exact same tuition fees as the overseas Indian students. I should have only been charged £3,000 but I was charged £12,000.

I complained non-stop to the universities finance department and they attempted to correct the mistake but failed to do anything to resolve it. I was then officially suspended from the university for not paying the £12,000 tuition fees within the agreed time. This meant I could not attend lectures, sit exams or hand in project work. I complained to the course tutor but I was ignored. I complained to the head of the finance department but I was ignored. I complained to the head of the Mathematics department but I was ignored. I have never received a reply from anyone at the university.

I wrote further emails and letters to the university finance department. None have ever been acknowledged. I then received a letter from the University bailiff company demanding I pay £12,000 plus their administration charges.

I decided to change my approach by escalating the matter to my local MP. My MP managed to persuade the university to see its failures. I received a revised bill of £3,000. No explanation was given for their mistakes.

I was still deeply disappointed at the way my education and time had been wasted. The university expects the full tuition fees to be paid. Why should I pay for a course which I have not received? I should have only been charged for the six weeks I attended the university. None of this was my fault.

I find myself in a situation where I have been issued with a county court judgement for £3,495. How can I reverse this or even fight it?

Did you receive the court papers before any hearing or is the judgement the first you are aware of the case?

If you received the papers did you offer any defence, and was there a hearing?

I was not notified of a previous hearing or judgement. I received this letter this morning. Not happy to find that I have been issued with a county court judgment from Northampton court. Seems unfair and underhanded? How should I go about challenging it? I honestly do not want to have a county court judgement against my name.

I was not notified of a previous hearing or judgement. I received this letter this morning. Not happy to find that I have been issued with a county court judgment from Northampton court. Seems unfair and underhanded? How should I go about challenging it? I honestly do not want to have a county court judgement against my name.

You can apply to have the judgement set aside on the grounds that you were unaware of the proceedings and would have defended them had you been aware.

That would "reset the clock" to where you could offer a defence and have the case heard.