HSBC CC PPI - Upheld but need help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I put in a claim for HSBC credit card PPI for my mum's other half (who's my employer, has always been self employed so HSBC upheld complaint straight away).

The thing is, their amount is very different to mine.

At first, they offered somewhere in the region of £300.00 stating they could only go back to 2006 on the information they had.

I had statements dating back to August 2003, so photocopied them all and sent them in, along with my spreadsheet again.

It took them 2 months for a revised offer, but it came yesterday.

Our total premiums paid is more or less the same, give or take ~£5. The statutory 8% is £100 out.

The compound interest is WAY off. Over £1200 less.

I say: Compound interest £1576.22

They say: Compound interest £332.40

I managed to get to my APR figure, by taking the APR off each statement and averaging it - 18 months @ 18.9%, 36 months @ 19.9%, and 52 months @ 22.9%

I expected it to be a little out - the APR was slightly lower in 2003/2004 when the balance of the card and PPI payments were higher. But even if I use the 18.9% APR for the whole claim, it's still ~£1000 out.

I've attached my spreadsheet as a PDF, so if someone could take a look I'd be really greatful. The few months in red is missing statements, but my estimates of PPI those months are roughly correct, as our total PPI paid is close.

To sum up -

ME:

TOTAL PPI PAID: £685.41

COMPOUND INTEREST: £1576.22

8% SIMPLE INTEREST: £458.07

HSBC:

TOTAL PPI PAID: £679.49

COMPOUND INTEREST: £332.40

8% SIMPLE INTEREST: £354.12

hsbc cc.pdf

I will send out an S.O.S for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

What I would do is ask them for the detailed breakdown, premium by premium to include their detailed interest calculations. You can then compare their individual items against yours.

It seems that your spreadsheet is filled in correctly so you will really need their detail to see where the differences lie.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thank you for your speedy replies :)

I will write another letter asking again for their breakdown. I did ask in the last letter I sent them, but in true HSBC style, they chose to ignore that bit. (I said: I would appreciate it if you gave an exact breakdown of redress in your next letter, including the compound interest rate used in the calculation)

Yes they are required to provide the breakdown if requested.

There are documented cases on the fos website for this so you are quite within your rights to receive it.

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

I'm glad to hear that.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm using some of your wording ims.

This is the letter:

Further to your letter dated 11th August, I am writing to you again regarding the payment protection insurance on my account.

I asked in my last letter for an exact breakdown of redress and you did not supply this. My own calculations and HSBC’s calculations are widely different.

Because of this, I ask again for a detailed breakdown, premium by premium to include your detailed interest calculations, as per the documented cases on the FOS website.

I look forward to your full and prompt response to this letter. I give you a further 2 weeks to fulfil this request or I shall be contacting the Financial Ombudsman to investigate my complaint.

Yours faithfully,

Because of this, I ask again for a detailed breakdown, premium by premium to include your detailed interest calculations, as per the documented cases on the fos website.

I'd change this paragraph to read...

"I require you to provide a full itemised breakdown of your calculations showing the amount of each premium paid, and interest calculations on each premium, both contractual and the 8% where applicable. You should also provide the contractual interest rate(s) used in your calculations for each premium.

I am aware that fos would consider this a reasonable request and should you not provide this information then I will be asking fos to intervene to get this information released to me."

Then I think you are good to go :-)

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Read Here

Instructions

This may be a silly question, I'm still learning myself but on your spreadsheet did you put the end date as the date the account closed or is it still a running account? Only ask as that makes a huge difference to the compound interest I think!?!? I got all excited when I first did mine then realised I needed to put in end date and interest was a lot lower :-)

Please feel free to remove/correct this post if I'm wrong Ims, I'm just testing the water to see if my "schooling" is paying off lol! :-)

This may be a silly question, I'm still learning myself but on your spreadsheet did you put the end date as the date the account closed or is it still a running account? Only ask as that makes a huge difference to the compound interest I think!?!? I got all excited when I first did mine then realised I needed to put in end date and interest was a lot lower :-)

Please feel free to remove/correct this post if I'm wrong Ims, I'm just testing the water to see if my "schooling" is paying off lol! :-)

Yes COMPLETELY ignore me! just viewed your spreadsheet which I didn't spot earlier. Not the same as the one I used. Sorry :-(

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to give an update on this :)

HSBC didn't play ball, so I went to the Ombudsman, which as we all know this takes time. Fast forward to the beginning of this year and HSBC were told off for not calculating it properly.

So to recap, first offer was for £645.00

Second offer was for £1366

Just got an offer, which is being accepted, for £5238 :)

Just goes to show the banks still aren't playing fair and you have to go to the Ombudsman to enforce the rules!!!

Many thanks for everyone who gave me advice along the way :)

thats great news and well done!!! I am just in the begining of a claim that has had to go to FOS as HSBC wouldn't uphold. Benn with them since about 1992..have EVERYTHING with them including business etc ....not going to give up though...we've always been self employed too.