Advice re 50+ element working tax credit

carriesue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would really appreciate any advice. I started work Dec 2011 after being on incapacity benefit for 5yrs due to cancer. I know I am very fortunate to be in employment. I have been in receivership of the 50+ element working tax credit. I earn £1303pm before tax-take home pay is 1,057.00. Tax credits is £202pm. I am not whinging but I have absolutely nothing left after I pay my mortgage plus bills. I have no children living at home. I have now been informed that the 50+ TC has been discontinued.

I would appreciate any assistance. I cannot down size as I live in a flat.. My work is local and I have no fares to pay. Many Thanks

The 50+ element was abolished from April 2012.

You should still get a small amount of Working Tax Credits.

Can you look on here for a sub forum on ideas to maximise your income or could you look at MoneySaving Expert - there are a lot of good ideas on there about saving money on day to day bills.

The ones off the top of my head are:

Council Tax 25% discount

Only having the elec/gas on when needed (a lot of people have the immersion on 24/7

Water meters

Cutting back on Sky/Virgin

Phone bills - do you need mobile and home phone

Also cutting back on food etc and cooking from scratch - could you order from Approved Foods - they have past date food which is still brilliant quality for really cheap prices.