Carer's Allowance and passported benefits

joeblogs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am posting this on behalf of a family friend. Their situation is as follows:-

Husband is working full time, wife is working 12 hours per week and earns just over £100 per week. They have 3 children, the eldest is 16 and starting full time college in September after just leaving school.

Their 2nd child is 12 and was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 at the begining of this year. He has just been awarded DLA High Rate Care and Low Rate Mobility. His condition has deteriorated and he needs around the clock care.

Their 3rd child is 3.

They have no savings and the husband is considering leaving his full time employment to become his son's full time carer. (Wife cannot be full time carer due to a recent family bereavement and is still grieving)

Can someone please advise what benefits they would be entitled to as trying to get any information is turning into a minefield and different people are saying different things.

Many thanks, JB

They may get some housing benefit, if they rent, council tax benefit and income support. Carers allowance is counted as income for income support, deducted and a carers premium is added. (around £30pw) The wifes' wages are counted as income for income support and housing and council tax benefits.

Thanks for that advice Nystagmite.

They have a mortgage, so would they be entitled to help with paying that if they claim income support?

I think they also get working tax credit and child tax credit (with a disability premium I think), but I would think the working tax credit would cease as the wife only works 12 hours.

This is where they are getting confused, all these different benefits. If anyone else can signpost where to go for advice that would be great. JB