style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I need some help regarding my brothers tax code. He is currently working for a company but when he receives his payslips - he has quite alot of tax deduction. His current code is BR 0 and I have no idea what this means. He wants me to help him with this matter but I know nothing about taxes. He has learning difficulties and I dont want him losing out on anything.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

Anne.

Hi,

It's a basic rate tax code for a second job. If it's incorrect you can get it corrected by contacting HMRC. It basically means that he pays basic rate tax as his personal allowance has already been used up through his first/main job.

Edited by NeptunesKiss
Clarification

well his been doing agency work for a while and now his working with a company whenever they need him. I think his tax code is incorrect. For example last weeks payslip, his total was £319.05 for the hours he worked, then they deducted £63.80 income tax & 20.77 national insurance - leaving him with £234.48. This has been for a couple of months now..

Also i dont understand another thing.

At the bottom of the payslip there is a box which says:

taxable pay to date - £1429.15

tax to date - £285.80

NI to date - £34.02

taxable pay TP - £319.05

NIable pay TP - £319.05

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN? :/

And what would I have to say to the HMRC when i contact them?

Regards

Anne.

Well, basic rate tax is at 20% so £63.80 from a wage of £319.00 is correct. If he's still registered with the agency as well as working for someone else, then he does have a second job, so it looks right to me. If you feel it's wrong then get onto the HMRC website and follow direction from there, should provide relevant contact details etc.

well his been doing agency work for a while and now his working with a company whenever they need him. I think his tax code is incorrect. For example last weeks payslip, his total was £319.05 for the hours he worked, then they deducted £63.80 income tax & 20.77 national insurance - leaving him with £234.48. This has been for a couple of months now..

Also i dont understand another thing.

At the bottom of the payslip there is a box which says:

taxable pay to date - £1429.15 -> His taxable pay in this employment to date for this tax year

tax to date - £285.80 -> Tax deducted in this employment to date for this tax year

NI to date - £34.02 -> National Insurance paid to date in this employment for this tax year

taxable pay TP - £319.05 -> Taxable Pay for This Period (e.g. week or month)

NIable pay TP - £319.05 -> Pay on which National Insurance is payable for This Period (e.g. week or month)

WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN? :/

And what would I have to say to the HMRC when i contact them?

Regards

Anne.

See above in red

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Oh is that what you meant by second job :$

No, he's only working for one company but his probably still registered with the old agency... Would that make a difference if his registered with them but not working for them? :/

Thank you for your help, you've made things more clear for a confused girl like me :)

Did he complete a form P46 when he commenced the job?

If he did and ticked the box which states " I receive income from another job" then code BR (basic rate - 20 pence fax deducted for every £1.00 earned)

If he was still on the books of the agency then if he has done no work at all for them for 3 months, then the PAYE regulations state that they must issue a P45

Gbarbm

Did he complete a form P46 when he commenced the job?

If he did and ticked the box which states " I receive income from another job" then code BR (basic rate - 20 pence fax deducted for every £1.00 earned)

If he was still on the books of the agency then if he has done no work at all for them for 3 months, then the PAYE regulations state that they must issue a P45

Erm he says he didnt complete a p46 form when he started during the christmas period, but then i cant be too sure because hes probably forgotten that he did :/

& once or twice his had the code "OT" on his playslip aswell.

he stopped working at the agency back in jan/feb but then re-joined them end of May & since then hes worked only one week (which was at the beginning of June). So apart from that one week, he hasnt recieved any oither income from that agency. But then he doesnt wanna leave the agency either just incase the company his working for decide not to hire him (because his not on a permenant contract or anything, as he just does shifts there when required). So hes keeping the other agency as back up, but then hes losing out.

urghhh, im ever so confused - i dont know what to do :/

Yep, i have sent an equiry to the Payroll team of the company...

They sent me a form in regards to my tax code... But im not sure which out of the two applies to my brother :/

Your Circumstances

A - This is my first job since last 6th April and I have not been receiving taxable Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment & Support Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit or a state or occupational

B This is now my only job, but since last 6 April

I have had another job, or have received

taxable Jobseeker's Allowance,

Employment and Support Allowance or

taxable Incapacity Benefit. I do not receive

a state or occupational pension.