I have a question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok. This might not usually be CAG worthy, but it thought i'd try and help a friend out, and since i dont think there is an appropriate forum for it, i placed it here.

One of my friends at work has recently passed his driving test. 2 weeks ago, give or take a day. He has a car, and is planning to visit his brother and sister in law in ireland in early september.

Now, what he wants to know is, is he allowed to drive in the Republic of Ireland in his own vehicle. Fully insured, MOt'd etc. He is 31 years old, so not under any age limits.

Reason he wants to know is he has heard some conflicting information that to be able to drive in ROI, he needs around 12-24 months driving experience, although DVLA website states he just needs to hold a valid license and doesnt mention any "experience restrictions".

He has contacted the dvla by email, but they simply told him to ask the ROI licensing authority. he contacted citizensinformation.ie and was advised by someone there as follows:

Re International Driving Permits

The rules governing UK residents applying for International Driving Permits are the rules you need to adhere to as you may only apply to the UK for your IDP.

Holders of foreign licences driving in Ireland

Information for foreign licence holders driving in Ireland.

You are still required to produce your own licence for inspection when hiring a vehicle in Ireland an IDP (International Driving Licence) should be seen as a translation of your licence and not a replacement.

All countries in the EU and European Economic Area (EEA) – EU plus Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland – benefit from a ‘mutual recognition’ agreement in respect of driving licences.

You must hold a current and valid licence from the country you are resident in.

Note: even when you hold an IDP, you should always carry your own driving licence when travelling in Ireland, as you may be required to produce this licence for inspection, for example, when hiring a car.

I have not been able to find any information that states that IDP holders with UK driving licenses must have been driving for 2 years so I would suggest you contact your office that issues IDP’s and discuss it with them as they are formally trained in IDP requirements for UK residents.

I hope the above information answers your query.

Kindest regards,

He has sent an email to the AA around 5 days ago, but has had no response, so i told him i would ask here to see if we can get any advice for him.

Thanks for any information you can give, and sorry again for the random information request :razz:

Edited by renegadeimp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Ya know what, thats a good idea. I swear alcohol and forum posting dont really mix :p

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

If you have to have 12 - 24 months experience to drive in ROI, how to new drivers in the ROI get 12 - 24 months experience if they can't drive on their new licence?

edit: found this link that is relavent

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-ireland.htm

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 17 for a car and for a motorcycle over 125cc.

It doesn't mention length of licence held, but notice it does specifically say the minimum age for driving in Ireland with a UK licence is 17. Clearly, as you only pass your UK test at 17 or over, then you can't be required to have 1 or 2 years experience as that would make you at least 18/19

Edited by crem

No drinking and driving rene!

Moved to Motoring Issues.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yea. He saw the same thing but was confused by http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/driving.html although i reckon that applies to international drivers.

Two threads merged, renegadeimp I've unapproved your duplicate, best keeping everything on one thread.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert