Sheltered Housing and DLA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A query, if I may. I live in a fairly rural village in a Housing Association property. Chatting with them today, the subject of moving was slipped into the conversation. Under my radar! (I love my home and don't want to move). We were discussing the impact of the incoming Housing Benefit changes. I live alone in a 2 bedroom property and am set to be penalised for this. It is a bit of a worry as I wouldn't be able to afford the shortfall in HB. 'You do know' they said 'you're eligible for sheltered housing?' This, as they say, came a bit out of left field. I'd always assumed it was for the elderly (I'm not) or the very disabled (I don't see myself that way). Whilst moving isn't something I want to consider, I probably should give it some attention. I know my family would like me to move into town so they can be there for me and help me when I need it. And winters here can be unusually harsh as I'm in an exposed area, and I'm highly heat dependant.

I'm just pondering whether a move to sheltered accommodation would assist in my claim for DLA? These things are getting harder to apply for and, I suppose, it would be some further evidence that someone thinks I need a little more care than I currently have. I appreciate it may be an odd thought but it's just another factor in the process of having to make a decision on something I don't really want to happen but probably should. If that makes sense ...

Guest amianne
A query, if I may. I live in a fairly rural village in a Housing Association property. Chatting with them today, the subject of moving was slipped into the conversation. Under my radar! (I love my home and don't want to move). We were discussing the impact of the incoming Housing Benefit changes. I live alone in a 2 bedroom property and am set to be penalised for this. It is a bit of a worry as I wouldn't be able to afford the shortfall in HB. 'You do know' they said 'you're eligible for sheltered housing?' This, as they say, came a bit out of left field. I'd always assumed it was for the elderly (I'm not) or the very disabled (I don't see myself that way). Whilst moving isn't something I want to consider, I probably should give it some attention. I know my family would like me to move into town so they can be there for me and help me when I need it. And winters here can be unusually harsh as I'm in an exposed area, and I'm highly heat dependant.

I'm just pondering whether a move to sheltered accommodation would assist in my claim for DLA? These things are getting harder to apply for and, I suppose, it would be some further evidence that someone thinks I need a little more care than I currently have. I appreciate it may be an odd thought but it's just another factor in the process of having to make a decision on something I don't really want to happen but probably should. If that makes sense ...

Sheltered accom. is exactly what it is. Part time warden, bell pushes to ask of help. Unless you really would get on with older people (and their funny ways) living so close to you, personally I would give them a wide berth.

But maybe I am a lot younger than you, but the thought of 24/7 being surrounded by wails and cries, banging and shouting and a permanent whiff of cabbage/urine uggghhh!!!

I don't know what the criteria is but I did hear that anybody over 50 is entitled to apply for one and is not dependent upon illness.

Sheltered accommodation isn't like that at all now amianne, and it all depends on the type of accommodation RaeUK wants.

Yes, they tend to be for older people, and some have a policy of not renting to people under a certain age (between 55 and 60). Some ar for people with higher needs, and some you wouldn't know are sheltered accommodation if you'd just walked around. Generally they have a Estate Manager (no longer a warden) who may or may not live on site, and ensures maintanence and building repairs, but also offers help with claiming for some benefits, and would be as involved in your life as you want them to be. It might be worth having a tour around some of them RaeUk, you're own Housing Association may have sheltered accommodation estates, or Hanover has a very good reputation.

I honestly do't know if it would help with your DLA claim.

When my in-laws lost their home they decided to move into sheltered accommodation, as they feel more secure there with their growing disabilities. One of my colleagues was allowed to move into one at 59 at her request after losing her husband. She has no disabilities but liked the community there. It all depends on how you feel, and what you want.

My wife and I moved into sheltered accommodation at age 50 and 53 respectively due to both being disabled following an RTA. We did not find it any different to living in our previous home soon got to know neighbours. One thing we found that living in this sheltered accommodation is that your neighbours care about you and do not just ignore you, if they see you getting into ambulance they then check later if you are ok.

dpick

Sheltered accom. is exactly what it is. Part time warden, bell pushes to ask of help. Unless you really would get on with older people (and their funny ways) living so close to you, personally I would give them a wide berth.

But maybe I am a lot younger than you, but the thought of 24/7 being surrounded by wails and cries, banging and shouting and a permanent whiff of cabbage/urine uggghhh!!!

I don't know what the criteria is but I did hear that anybody over 50 is entitled to apply for one and is not dependent upon illness.

How bigoted of you, this time you really have surpassed yourself...... would like to comment more but feel that I would enrage and do not want to lower myself.....

Hi

I have to completely disagree with amianne "Sheltered Accomodation is exactly what it is" as has been said you may be correct in the 1950s but not in this day and age.

You also fail to mention that there are actually different types and levels of Sheltered Housing as these can differ from Housing associationto Housing Association.

Sheltered Housing is NOT for the ELDERLY ONLY as this would breach the Human Rights Act, Equality Act etc and anyone that may be in need of the services provided by sheltered housing whatever age (except under 16) can apply for this accomodation.

Where I live there are about 8 different Shelterd housing complexes of differents levels with a completely mixed age group.

I agree with dpick the difference is sheltered housing compared to standard in societythese days is that community spirit, neighbours look after each other get worried if not seen for a while. Where as in normal accomodation neighbours dont want to know, no community spirit, no one cares if you aint seen for days.

Sadly that society these days compared to the 1950 when everyone knew everyone, neighbours were friendly helpful trusting, you could leave your door unlocked that community spirit was always there but sadly thats all gone these days.

The big difference with Sheltered Housing Compared to normal Housing is the additional service and type of accomodation but there is a different in the rents as the additional service do come as a Service Charge additional to Rent.

The Big concern for most Housing Associations with the Welfare reform is

1. Housing Benefit now being paid direct to individuals with no right of the housing association as previously they could ask you to complete and sign a form forthis to be paid direct to them but this has been completely removed and their concern is will these individuals once payed housing benefit actually pay there rent especially if they have a track record of arrears as an example.

2. With Housing benefit being Capped and the new "Under Occupying" people that may have lived in a property for many years even though housing know they are under occupying and dont enforce this will due to these changes have no option but to suddenly have to enforce this on there tenants due to these radical reforms.

I have questioned my own housing association about this especially the Under Occupying part as how they would legally enforce this without breaching a persons Human Rights and the Equality Act. Also if people are forced to move who pays for this forced move.

This one had then panicing when I also pointed out that in there Tenancy Agreement there is a Clause about Under Occupation and that you may be requested to move properties if you are under occupying for XYZ reason but at housing association discretion. Now bear this in mind I pointed out this clause and if they knew this and approved of this for say 6mths, 1yr, 2yrs etc what there legal position would be with this new reform if they had to force tenants to move that they had given say permission. You really should have seen the look on their face when i also pointed out different legislation and still waiting on a full response to that but they did panic.

The only thing they did say is if under occupying and you have been move that property for say medical reasons that require you to have an extra room and it is already on file then these people would not be affected by this through the housing association but as for the housing benefit cap they could not really answer that as its still up in the air so to speak.

A move to Sheltered Accomodation would have no impact at all on a DLA Claim as its for your Disability not your Accomodation

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank-you Pheobelike, dpick, Delizjo and stu for your input. I'm not going to rush into a decision as I love my home and have been here for about 15 years. I will probably arrange to have a look at some of the sheltered accommodation in my area.

stu, the new HB cap is another major worry that might force my hand a bit. The latest info I've seen (May 2012) indicates that I'd need to find about another £10 a week on top of the £3.30 shortfall I already pay. As my only income at the moment is assessment rate ESA of £71 per week this is a serious threat anyway. It would leave me about £58 per week for bills, food, transport etc. It looks like if you are disabled enough to need a room for a carer then that will be excempt. Quite right too! ...

Thank-you, m'dear, I hadn't heard of Discretionary Housing Payments before. There's a lot to weigh up, probably more than I realised when I first posted. The ongoing travails of my car have helped focus my mind a little ...

'Fraid not. But I have learnt a lot about when a lien applies and - more importantly - when it doesn't. As well as Loss Of Use. I'm just emailing solicitors to look for one that will take the case on. Failing that, then it'll be the Small Claims Court (or whatever they call it these days). Either way it's going to be a long haul ...

Really good luck from me, my mum is 74, we lost dad last year, she has lived in this rented (private flat) since she was 6 months old (evacuated out of London with my gran). This is where all her memories of her whole life are, she loves the garden she has created, all her old friends are here and they all look out for each other. At ths stage a change would probably finish her off. However, she is also going to be penalised for wanting to stay in her home. It has two bedrooms. So, for the sake of £7 a week, this govt want my mum at her age to move to a one bed property or find the extra out of her pension. And if she can't do this then the shortfall won't be paid, and eventually she will be evicted. Then because of her age she will be found homeless and the LA will have to house her into sheltered accommodation at god knows what cost. Very cost effective and all over £7 a week.

Anyway, what I say is this: if you have doubts and regrets about moving - don't do it. If you wake up and the thought of a move brings light to your day - then you should do it!

Also, on some sheltered sites, if they start allowing people on under retirement age it can affect the group scheme TV licence. But even here, there are some lovely sheltered schemes that have flats for families with disabilites, they live side by side with the elderly, no problem.

Amianne, I suspect you are thinking of part three sheltered accommodation, or care on a geriatric ward/hospice. You know, the kind of place where OAP;s who have the sheer effrontery to live longer, and therefore contract things like cancers and other ailments. Or become incontinent. But it sure isn't their fault, and it should never be forgotten that they were young like you once, are most certainly made of sterner stuff than you or I and ALSO, one day, you will be old like them. What will you smell of I wonder and would you like to read that the younger generation had reduced you to nothing more than "smells like cabbage" and "bangs on walls screaming and shouting?"

Not sure on this but I believe that the under occupancy rule does not apply to age 65 and over. Like a lot of recent welfare benefit changes that do not apply to age 65 and over I think our wonderful government are scared of us pensioners. They need to be.

dpick

Oh dear dpick - me mother had a letter from the council earlier this year actually warning her that this was probably going to come in and telling her she was under occupying!

She has cried nearly every day since (partly as she is bereaved) and has categorically stated that if she has to move out she will kill herself.

I was so cross at the wording of the letter she received (it was sent in with her Hb renewal paperwork) that I rang them and actually asked them where they thought she should move to at her time of life. I was greeted with silence. We wrote to them but never received a reply back.

This worries me a lot, so I think I'm going to complain that we didnt get an answer. Via the friendly local councillor! HO HO HO oh yes, as soon as I get back from the dog walking, nice cuppa, and fire up Word. I shall let you know what response i get as I'm sure loads of OAP's are unclear and therefore worried.

Just to let you know, that if any one who is single gets full DLA care or middle rate night care and are in a 2 bed property or elderly and has any night time care and even if they dont get DLA but can prove that they have some type of care at night, can apply for HB to accommodate a 2 bed. This came in in April of this year.

It is up to the councils HB section who gets this though, its worth looking into.

A move to Sheltered Accomodation would have no impact at all on a DLA Claim as its for your Disability not your Accomodation

There are a few questions on the forms about housing - what type you live in, where do you sleep, where the toilet is, etc.

I have looked into sheltered / support housing. There's nothing where I live for anyone under 65.

Thank-you, good people, for the comments. Just to reiterate about under occupancy, the latest document I read - which I typically didn't bookmark but will look for again, it was dated May 2012 - stated that pensioners will be excempt ...

Hi

This PDF is the latest I have seen on Under Occupation of Social Housing - Housing Benefits entitlement:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group