Swinton cancellation and risk fees

BIGMAN2708
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4141 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took out a motor insurance policy with Swinton back in April. The policy was taken out online then passed to my local branch. They wrote to me asking for proof of no claims and to complete the credit agreement form, to which both were posted to the local brach. A week later I received a letter asking for proof of no claims, but as the letter stated that if I had sent it back within the last few days please ignore the letter. As this was the case I ignored the letter. A week later I received another letter stating that the policy would be cancelled within seven days if I did not provide proof of no claims.

At this point I called my local branch and was advised to ignore the letter as they had proof of no claims and there was no further issue.

Just over a week later I received a cancellation letter and a cancellation charge of £50. At this point I wrote to my local branch and asked why it had been cancelled when they had all relevant paperwork. No response was received so I called the office but the phone just constantly rang. I sent a further letter and still no reply. I cancelled the direct debit as I had already paid a months premium which covered more than the period I was insured and was not prepared to pay any further premiums or charges as the fault was with their local branch not myself. No response was received until today when I received a letter from Regal Credit Consultants demanding £131.68!

I called them this morning but the stroppy operator wasn’t interested in anything I had to say, but just that the outstanding balance is now legally owed and they were going to pursue no matter what. This includes external doorstep collectors.

I am now in the process of writing to them detailing the situation and stating that I do not owe the amount stated and that any collection agent calling will be turned away.

What I now need is advice on where I stand legally with this. Do I take it up with Swinton head office or do I go to trading standards?

Any helpful advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Hi big

We have a Swinton Rep on site who can look into the matter for you, depending on if the matter is resolved, we can suggest further action.

Hi Rebel11,

If you Rep can help with this matter it would be of great help. At present I am not quite sure which route to take so if you can suggest further action it would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andy.

Hi Big

Apparently the Rep hasn't been around for some time. Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do. Write to their CEO, depending on what they say, we escalate the matter to the FOS, it will cost Swinton £500 if you do that. Let Swinton know that you will complain to the FOS as well as other agencies.

Send it to:-

Christophe Bardet, Chief Executive

christophe.bardet@swinton.co.uk

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

If you've got a Twitter Account I'm sure they will be happy to hear from you:- http://twitter.com/#!/SwintonGroup

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go straight into complaining as high up in Swinton as possible, they are useless and don't care that they cause problems like this, even if it is their staffs fault they will still treat you with contempt and make out it is down to you when it clearly isn't.

Also keep a careful watch on your account as now they have your details they can and will just help themselves to your money wether a direct debit is cancelled or not.

• 6 months later...
I'd go straight into complaining as high up in Swinton as possible, they are useless and don't care that they cause problems like this, even if it is their staffs fault they will still treat you with contempt and make out it is down to you when it clearly isn't.

Also keep a careful watch on your account as now they have your details they can and will just help themselves to your money wether a direct debit is cancelled or not.

I insured a car with Swinton and, at the time, explained that it would only be for 7 months (as I was moving overseas and would be diposing of the car). They said that would be fine, just let them know and they would probably give me a refund.

7 months later I gave the car away, emailed (two addresses) them from Spain and telephoned. I cancelled standing order and emailed bank notification. No response.

Next thing was mail forwarded to me (after a month) including a threatening letter from a debt collection agency. Call to Swinton was met with disinterest verging on abuse they hid behind "Dat protection" and that they do not read emails!. Call to agency was just plain aggressive.

I am a retired pensioner, living overseas. Swinton couldn't care less!