Strategy Advice Needed Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

1st time poster so sorry if in the wrong place !

My situation is this I have credit card debt of around about 12k which I was maintaining up untill Xmas last and then had to stop.I live in Australia and have done for last few years now so not a UK resident. CC co have sold onto a DCA Crapquest who are writting letters to my last UK address which is my parents address, my folks are getting phone calls asking for me and just saying does not live here and nothing more etc. Last letter was threatening legal action etc .

My question is do I contact the DCA tell them I am not UK resident and give them a PO box to write to then ignore ?

Obviously I do not want my parents to be hassled any more - I have read various posts etc on this great site which leads me to believe that a CCJ cannot be issued to a non resident . I have checked and I have nothing against my name as yet

- OR do I just keep quiet and wait out the next 2 months or so till they give up but risk having them issue a CCJ against my last UK address .........my folks are cool with dealing with the hassle if this is the best strategy .

Before the credit card sold the debt on they did track me to Aus via Google search etc leaving a few messages on my business Skype number - so I assume the DCA have this info too.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

Hi twam

Welcome to CAG

If your parents are getting phone calls you could consider buying them a 'Truecall', that will put an end to unsolicited phone calls.

Have you got any mis-sold PPI on the debt that can be claimed back with interest? Claim back over 6 years plus.

Have you got any Penalty Charges that you can claim back with interest? Claim back over 6 years plus.

Have a read of 1,2,3 and 4 in my signature.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

As you are no longer a UK resident they would have to apply to an Oz court and they are highly unlikely to accept jurisdiction for a debt which is covered by CCA 1974 see; http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?304615-It-is-now-apparent-that-it-will-be-practically-impossible-to-enforce-a-UK-debt-in-Oz

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Thanks cerberusalert ! I guess the crux of the question is do I contact them and tell them officially that I am overseas and not at the UK address thus putting them off getting the CCJ and also diverting them from my folks.

Before the credit card sold the debt on they did track me to Aus via Google search etc leaving a few messages on my business Skype number - so I assume the DCA have this info too.
If the DCA has bought the debt they will have very little information about it or you. It will have been part of a package of many thousands.

If they attempt to apply for a CCJ you could have it set aside as you are no longer a UK resident and not within a UK courts jurisdiction. They would need to go through the Oz legal system which would be likely to fail as in my post above.

You could give them a PO box number or even an email to contact you via.

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even if they were daft enough to try and obtain a CCJ using your last known address your parents could contact the court and notify them that you are not a UK resident & have not been for several years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]