SKY using my card details without my consent.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To cut a long story short:

I used my card details for a friend to pay a sky installation, and they have retained my details and used them to take payments, as my so-called friend hasn't been paying her direct debits. On my bank statement it is a POS (point of sale) transaction, where, to my knowledge you need to be present to allow use. This to me is highly suspect, and fraudulent.

I have spoken to SKY (nightmare!!!!) and was advised to write to them with full details and give proof of the payments (statements) and they have written back saying they cannot do anything as I am not the account holder and cannot access my friends account under data protection act laws. However it is perfectly fine for them to use my details.

My bank are not willing to help and say it was my own fault for 'giving out' my details. I was given assurance when making this one off payment by SKY that my card details would not be used.

Before I write back and threaten legal action I could do with some advise on what rights I have and if SKY have broken any laws. Surely it is basically stealing? Trying to claw the payment by any way possible?

I think you will find that the account has been set up with a continous authority for your card details. If so sky have done nothing wrong, I'd suggest you write to them advising that you no longer give them details to use your card. Also advise your bank that you dont want sky to take any payment. Your friends....is the one that owe's you money so ask them to pay up!

I have to disagree. Sky and the Bank are in the wrong here just as much as the friend.

These are unauthorised transactions and the bank need to reverse and stop them. You only gave permission for the first payment.

The bank can't use the excuse "You gave out your details" as this means that the second you use your card once in say something like online shopping, that online store then has permission to just charge whatever they want to your card because "you gave out your details".

Get back onto the bank and insist (go to a manager if you have to) that first of all they block any future payments to Sky and that they look into reversing the existing charges.

The OP states that the details were used for an install only. Was this done online?? As sky offer either a Direct Debit or continuous card details. If the OP selected card details then its fair for sky to take payment (as per contract). If they stated Direct devit then sky would not and could not take future payments by card.

Cancel the card with your bank and have them issue you with a new one as it has been compromised.

If this is, as you say, an unauthorised payment using your card details, then go use visa debit chargeback.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I think you need to write to the top dog at Sky and also bring the following to the attention of your bank..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?850-Continuous-Payment-Authorities-How-to-stop-them

Putting aside the fact that you personally have not set up a CPA with Sky, you made a one off payment and it is wrong of them to keep your card details in that respect.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

When someone sets up a sky account, the new account holder then sets up a payment method - any details used to pay for an install are not automatically held for future payments.

Sky cannot refund these automatically to you as most likely the sky account holder has given their names as the card holder and not yours which is not checked by banks when taking payments.

As above you need to contact your car isser report these as fraudulant transactions, albeit they are aware you gave your details, but for one initial payment only. Your card issuer may request that you contact the police first and get a crime reference number before they proceed as you willingly gave your details.

If your card details are being used for monthly continual payments without your consent sky will cancel these but will not issue a refund unless claimed back from your bank.

So you need to decide to either sort it with your friend as they have done this knowingly or go to the police.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Also may i add, if your friend has not been honest and said the card is in their name and not a third party, then if the stop paying within the first 12 months they have gave authorisation for the remainder term of the contract to be taken from your card.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

EXACTLY. So if I go for a meal, or pay for my shopping, companies have the right to play carte blanche with my details. I haven't given up and have had a great response from watchdog, so I'll keep you posted.

Not a valid point, I dont work for sky and cant be bothered with them, but they are clear on their terms and conditions.

Valid or not. I've had contact with SKY and am getting my money back through an indemnity claim. So it is worth fighting situations like this. And: If you are not bothered about sky, how are you so familiar with terms and conditions? Odd. Anyway, thank you for the POSITIVE responses/advise to everyone.

Valid or not. I've had contact with SKY and am getting my money back through an indemnity claim. So it is worth fighting situations like this. And: If you are not bothered about sky, how are you so familiar with terms and conditions? Odd. Anyway, thank you for the POSITIVE responses/advise to everyone.

Im so familiar with T&C's as its an interest that I have, I was only making you aware of the facts. This site is here for us all to learn things from and all I was doing was clearly telling you the facts. Im glad that you are getting your money back - therefore a result for you