Former Employer not responding to reference request

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I have been unemployed for almost 12 months, and have finally been offered a job. Obviously, I had to supply two referees, one of which was my former employer and the other was the manager of a day service for people with Cerebral Palsy, where I have been volunteering for the past 8 months. The problem is, my former boss has not responded to the reference request. I know employers are not legally obliged to give references, but I'm really really worried that having only one reference will jeopardise my chances. The reference they have received, from the manager at the place I volunteer, WILL be an excellent reference, I know. I've been working there, unpaid, 3 days a week, for 8 months and I know I've done a good job there. Do you think my future employers will accept me on just this reference? It's more recent than my last employment anyway, as I left in August 2011.

The terms of me leaving my last job - I left of my own accord, because I wasn't happy there. But my boss had issues with my teamwork apparently, although nothing was ever said to me at the time. I was told specifically, when I left, that he wouldn't mess up my chances and would be prepared to supply me with a reference.

I'm really really concerned, because I desperately need and want this job. I have one good reference, and I can supply character references or go back further, but I'm just really stressing out now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.