Length of ownership affects car insurance premium - is this right?

yabbadoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Daughter acquired her latest car in Apr 2012, notified her insurance co and paid the additional premium versus her old car.. Policy expired mid-May. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" filled in her details (which included date of car purchase) and chose Hastings Direct, who insured her (she has 5 years NCB) but subsequently asked for sight of V5C.

They then sent her a letter which arrived today (12th June) advising they had debited her a further £140. They SAY she put her acquisition date as 2005, and the premium increase reflects her increased risk of accident due to unfamiliarity with the car (it's a 1.4 Fiesta) - and that underwriters reduce premiums for cars owned a long time.

Is this correct? a 33% premium increase just because she has a "new" 10 year-old car?

Yes it is the case. If you go onto the comparison sites, you can compare the prices yourself by going back and changing the details. It could be a whole lot worse if they chose to refuse you insurance - something you would have to declare to all insurers in future, and your insurance would sky rocket even more.

Hi Yabbadoo, Thanks for your post, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with our service. If you would like to send me an email with some of the policy details I will make sure that this gets looked into for you. We are always looking to improve our service and it's valuable feedback like yours that helps us to do so.Many Thanks, Jamie Wicks, socialmedia@hastingsdirect.com