Admiral and Speed Awareness Courses

Seminole
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am in the process of renewing my car insurance and I've found that Admiral treat attendance at a speed awareness course in exactly the same way as a fixed penalty SP30. They admitted to me on the phone that their premium increases by precisely the same amount. It's also worth noting that Admiral's extra premium for a first time SP30 seems much higher than many other insurers.

When I attended the course, it was made clear that there was no motoring conviction, no points, no fine and no need to tell an insurer unless specifically asked about it.

At best Admiral is guilty of very share practice and I have read else where they they will record the awareness course when they send no claims details to another insurer.

In the circumstances I've cancelled my renewal and will be going elsewhere. I will also make a complaint to Admiral, not that that will do much good.

Most people insure online.

I have never seen anything on an online application asking about having attended such a course.

How did Admiral discover this?

Also - I have never received a renewal that was not massively more expensive than a new policy with a new insurer. Try an online application via Go-compare,com or Confused.com as I suspect you will not be asked about this course - and should get a far lower quote.

Once you get the quote - don't buy it - but go in via a cashback site such as Quidco or TopCashBack and you should get about £40-50 back too.

Tell us how you get on.

Erm it was in a telephone call and they were told accidentally (not by me!) and so this shouldn't arise too often. However, when I spoke to the sales rep, she was told that they regarded it as a material fact and needed to be told. I wonder how many drivers there are out there whose policies might be questioned if they had an accident and hasn't told Admiral.

I was told but haven't checked that Admiral include SAC as an offence code when you apply for insurance. However, you would probably only see this if you had other motoring convictions to record.

Admiral is now toast for my family. We are seeking alternative quotes.

Insurance is/was a contract unlike other "at arms length" contracts, but "uberrimae fidei" - utmost good faith. Basically it means you have a duty to tell them everything they want to know. In the past with written insurance applications there was always an "any additional details" box. However, with most applications now being online, I have never seen this box on a website.

So while normally you would have a duty to tell them - as there now appears to be no box on the websites, then "material" or not - there is no way of entering the details for online applications.

I am in the process of renewing my car insurance and I've found that Admiral treat attendance at a speed awareness course in exactly the same way as a fixed penalty SP30. They admitted to me on the phone that their premium increases by precisely the same amount. It's also worth noting that Admiral's extra premium for a first time SP30 seems much higher than many other insurers.

When I attended the course, it was made clear that there was no motoring conviction, no points, no fine and no need to tell an insurer unless specifically asked about it.

At best Admiral is guilty of very share practice and I have read else where they they will record the awareness course when they send no claims details to another insurer.

In the circumstances I've cancelled my renewal and will be going elsewhere. I will also make a complaint to Admiral, not that that will do much good.

Unlike the 3 points you get for speeding there is absolutely NO WAY your insurer will ever be able to find out about a speed awareness course.

Why tell them...