style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone could help, I am 21 and have had quite severe mental health problems for the last five years. I am now fully recovered and currently working towards getting a place ona nursing degree, I need to hold a health care assisstant job for a while to strengthen my uni application, however whilst I was unwell I had quite alot of police involvement when I ran away from hospitals, and had to be searched for and returned or when I did dangerous things during which they had to intervene. On one occasion, I was classified as being at risk of harming others, without going into detail ... during a very unwell episode I threatened to attack a friend.

I have had an enhanced CRB done in the past, and on the other relevant info box the chief police officer disclosed how many times the police had had to attend to me (frequently) during which periods 2008-2010 (however now it will be until the end of last year... and went into brief detail about the risk to myself Ive caused and very detailed about the event where I threatened to attack a friend.

I understand they cannot overlook what happened completely however I feel they have gone into too much detail. I phoned the CRB office last year and they said it would remain on there for five years, but I feel it will severely hamper my chances of working in healthcare, which is and always has been my dream. I have worked hard and been through therapy to address my issues which are all born from trauma... and I feel now this is going to make it very hard for me to get a job, even though I am desperate to take the next step into adulthood and life, and not be reliant on benefits.

My question is ... How can I try and get this sorted, have the content toned down or taken off? Absolutely none of what I recorded is remotely criminal... it is all purely because I was unwell! I have considered contacting my local police HQ and asking if my psychiatrist writes a letter saying I am of no risk to vulnerable adults or children at all, whether this would help?

Sorry for the long ramble, it's just I've worked too hard to let a bit of paper get in my way! Any help appreciated, happy to answer further questions about what happened etc... Just please post any ideas!!

Thanks,

studentnurse2b (Hopefully!)

Hi,

I have just had to leave a nursing degree course due to healh issues (ill health), and IMO sadly I think the university will not let you study nursing just yet. The reason I say this is because, from the start you are in contact with patients in a stressful enviroment. They (the uni) have to be certain you are (a) not a risk to yourself, (b) risk to others © not a risk to vunerable adults or children (povc, pova)).

Sorry if this is not what you wanted too hear buddy. But keep on going, you might just need too stay in your health assistant role longer than anticipated and prove yourself.

An enhanced CRB will show these issues even although they are not a criminal conviction this is because on an enhanced CRB other agencies are required to give info if you are dealing with or coming into contact with children or vulnerable adults.

I am sorry that I cannot think of anything that can help you at the moment. You are still very young perhaps you could do some other degree for now and see how you cope with uni life and then if you get that look at nursing again as you will have shown you can cope. I know its not ideal but dont give up on your dreams just modify them for now.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

There is unfortunately no way that you can prevent this information being toned down or in any way not disclosed. There is potentially far too much at stake should the information not be disclosed and in the unlikely event that something should go wrong.

Your only course of action should you be determined enough to continue studying towards your chosen profession would be to write a comprehensive letter of explanation to those concerned with approving or rejecting the application, outlining the circumstances of the police involvement, the treatment that you have been receiving and the fact that this is all behind you.

The ball will be in their court of course, but at least you will be giving yourself a glimmer of a chance.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone could help, I am 21 and have had quite severe mental health problems for the last five years. I am now fully recovered and currently working towards getting a place ona nursing degree, I need to hold a health care assisstant job for a while to strengthen my uni application, however whilst I was unwell I had quite alot of police involvement when I ran away from hospitals, and had to be searched for and returned or when I did dangerous things during which they had to intervene. On one occasion, I was classified as being at risk of harming others, without going into detail ... during a very unwell episode I threatened to attack a friend.

I have had an enhanced CRB done in the past, and on the other relevant info box the chief police officer disclosed how many times the police had had to attend to me (frequently) during which periods 2008-2010 (however now it will be until the end of last year... and went into brief detail about the risk to myself Ive caused and very detailed about the event where I threatened to attack a friend.

I understand they cannot overlook what happened completely however I feel they have gone into too much detail. I phoned the CRB office last year and they said it would remain on there for five years, but I feel it will severely hamper my chances of working in healthcare, which is and always has been my dream. I have worked hard and been through therapy to address my issues which are all born from trauma... and I feel now this is going to make it very hard for me to get a job, even though I am desperate to take the next step into adulthood and life, and not be reliant on benefits.

My question is ... How can I try and get this sorted, have the content toned down or taken off? Absolutely none of what I recorded is remotely criminal... it is all purely because I was unwell! I have considered contacting my local police HQ and asking if my psychiatrist writes a letter saying I am of no risk to vulnerable adults or children at all, whether this would help?

Sorry for the long ramble, it's just I've worked too hard to let a bit of paper get in my way! Any help appreciated, happy to answer further questions about what happened etc... Just please post any ideas!!

Thanks,

studentnurse2b (Hopefully!)

Have / had you discussed your intended career with either an occupational health expert, or a mental health expert?. After all, mental health illness is just that, an illness. Provided you are now better, and not a risk to yourself or others, you might be able to turn the fact that it is an illness to your advantage ... Both in terms of stressing the valuable experience of life, mental health services, and being a patient it has given you, and the fact that it is all about health. If they had to exclude a person with an infectious disease while they were infectious, but they recovered and were no longer infectious ... Would they exclude them, then?. Probably not.

So, the way is to stress that mental health should be treated no differently. They might want to know that a person who had had typhoid wasn't a "typhoid Mary" any longer, and similarly they might want to know your mental health issues are behind you. There aren't any guarantees, but if you have the support of your mental health professionals ....

If someone had a criminal record for fraud, they'd have to persuade them they had changed. If all your police contact was because of your mental health issues, you won't have to persuade them you've changed, only your mental health status. You mention your psychiatrist .... are they willing to support your application?.

I'm not sure that the police will change the CRB entries if contacted by your psychiatrist, as if the information is factually correct they may feel obliged to report it.

With the help of your psychiatrist you may well be able to alter how a prospective employer views that information.

If they hear of it from you (and your psychiatrist) and are reassured, even before they get any CRB back, then the CRB details may become a non-event.

Good luck!

• Haha 1