Taped Telephone Call

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had been on sickleave and rang my Manager to inform her when I would be returning to work.

About 3 weeks later I was summoned to my Manager's office and informed that after our conversation I had not put my phone down properly and the line was still open, this resulted in my Manager overhearing a conversation I was having in my own home, with my husband about another member of staff.

My Manager informed me that she had taped the conversation and had played it back to her upline Manager and a member of HR. She then advised me to be aware that this had happened.

I have had issues in the past with this Manager, I have been employed in my job for 20 years and have very good personal character references.

I have asked for this incident to be investigated as I feel that taping my conversation is not right. It feels just like the phone tapping going on in the newspapers!

Can anyone help/advise me of how I stand please

Abbey
- Data Protection Act (S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) sent 15th July 2006

received usual Microfiche arguement and some statements

20th July - Microfiche letter sent

Nat West
- Data Protection Act (S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) letter sent 10/07/06

Halifax Card Services
(Currently still open) - Data Protection Act (S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) letter sent 19/07/06

Rcvd letter from HBOS plc - Thanking me for specific info - but request for info relating to manual info under no stat req to record this info?"

Hello there. I don't know the answer, but people here will I'm sure.

I just have a question though if I may? Did you know she was recording the conversation when you spoke to your manager? And another thought, have you seen a transcript or heard the recording?

It all sounds a bit strange.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

This is at least a breach of confidence as well as a breach of several other sets of regs- http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/prvfaq3.htm

The trouble is, what do you want to do about it. Although you have the legal right on your side, it could prejudice your job.

If they decide to sue it against you then you will have to defend yourself but it they don't then you will have to decide whether you want to take any action.

It is certainly and disgraceful and irresponsible action by your manager.

If I were you I would start keeping a detailed note of every incident which occurs at your workplace. Keep you journal at home - not at your workplace.

Thank you HB, I didn't know she was taping anything, I understand it was only after we ended our conversation that she had taped my subsequent discussion with my husband ( as I mustn't have put my receiver down at my end)

I haven't heard or seen a transcript of the conversation.

Abbey

Nat West

Halifax Card Services
(Currently still open) - Data Protection Act (S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)) letter sent 19/07/06

Rcvd letter from HBOS plc - Thanking me for specific info - but request for info relating to manual info under no stat req to record this info?"

Thank you HB, I didn't know she was taping anything, I understand it was only after we ended our conversation that she had taped my subsequent discussion with my husband ( as I mustn't have put my receiver down at my end)

I haven't heard or seen a transcript of the conversation.

This inadvertently taped conversation was recorded in error and should have been erased immediately when discovered. It was good of them to let you know what had been overheard but the idea taking any further action against you on the strength of it is ridiculous and vindictive. Also if the content of the conversation was disclosed to more people than necessary they have breached confidentality.

I would thank them for letting me know about their error and ask for explicit details of exactly why senior management and HR were made aware of the content of your private concersation. Surely there was no need to do this. If direction from Hr was required, the query should have been limited to;

Question:"A private conversation has been recorded on our system - please advise

Answer -The portion of the conversaton which does not relate to our company/business interests should be erased.

I would do this in writing of course.

This sort of thing must happen all the time and I am sure that the irrelevant stuff is just removed. You are right to be concerned that someone was out to show you up in a bad light and damage your standing with your employer.

Edited by Browncow

Hello Browncow

This conversation was deliberately taped, it wasn't in error.

Abbey

Nat West

Halifax Card Services

Hello Browncow

This conversation was deliberately taped, it wasn't in error.

This is difficult to understand. I got the impression that it taped automatically because your line was still connected. If the person at the company's end could have ended the call they were wrong to let it record. That is a real invasion of privacy.

Given what has been said by other posters, I would write to the employer and make my views clear. I would point out that there had been a serious breach of procedures which has been embarrasing and detrimental to your working relationships etc. You could go down the formal grievance route too but only you can decide what will satisfy you.

Thanks Browncow, BankFodder and Honeynbee 13. I have approached a senior member of management and discussed my situation. I am lodging a formal complaint, there is to be an investigation by a neutral party.

Hopefully something will be sorted out once and for all.

Abbey

Nat West

Halifax Card Services