statutory limit for repayments to CCJ if on benefits?

bigegg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right section to ask, could someone pleased move if not? thanks.

I have often seen reference (in the debt collection forum) to:

"a judge will only order you to pay £1 a [month|week] if you are on benefits".

Is there any sort of case law/statute on this?

Perhaps in the "white book" (? - guidelines for judges in civil court, not quite sure of exact title) ?

thanks!

Carpe Jugulum

there is none but £1 -£5 is typical

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 7 months later...

Old thread, but I just found this, which *sort of* might be useful when arguing that minimum payments are justified:

Social Security Administration Act 1992

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/5/section/187/enacted

187Certain benefit to be inalienable(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of a beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

which to me reads that *means tested* benefit (and child benefit) cannot be used to pay a ccj.

This wouldn't include DLA, IB, contribution based ESA, or the first 6 months of JSA, and possibly others tho.

but definitely *would* include Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Income Support, and Income based ESA.

Edited by bigegg

Carpe Jugulum

• 2 weeks later...

I had an old thread on this subject, but I think I must have posted in the wrong section (legalities in "banks and other instititions" - I found some possibly useful info which I thought was worthy of greater publicity.

My original question (last year?) was:

"I have often seen on here words to the effect:

>If it goes to court annd you are on benefits, the judge will only make you pay a pound a week

Does this have any legal or statutory basis (such as in the Civil Procedure Rules (White Book))?

"

I had a reply that there was no legal basis, but it's typically between 1 and 5 pounds.

However, last week I found the following:

Social Security Administration Act 1992

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...on/187/enacted

187 Certain benefit to be inalienable(1)Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of or charge on—

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankruptcy of a beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors.

which to me reads that *means tested* benefit (and child benefit) cannot be used to pay a ccj.

This wouldn't include DLA, IB, contributionlink3.gif based ESA, or the first 6 months of JSA, and possibly others tho.

but definitely *would* include Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Income Support, and Income based ESA.

I am in court next week for a redetermination hearing, and I will be using this argument as the basis for a minimum payment (which at the moment is set at £100 a month!), so will update this thread once it's tested.

Carpe Jugulum

Thank you for this post BE let us know what transpires with your hearing.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Back from court.

Showed the judge the legislation and he said it would be valid, but because I claim working tax credit, it's not relevant, as he will be making an order to pay out of my earned income :-(

Managed to get my payments reduced to a fiver a week, tho (which I can manage). :-)

To be reviewed in three months.

Carpe Jugulum