Cash converters- faulty goods

cobee33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Been on here a quite some time, think this is my first thread !

I purchased a TV back in November from Cash Converters for £80. At around that time my Sky+ box packed up so I hardly used the TV. When I finally did ( after Christmas ) I noticed it kept switching itself off. I adjusted a few settings which helped a bit but I was not happy so returned it, or tried to.

I am generally very good at keeping receipts, in this case I could not find it. I don't even recall actually getting a receipt. Anyway I was told without the receipt it was not possible to change it. I was not happy but decided to make the best of it.

Anyway 3-4 weeks ago I took it back to CC just to raise some cash. I gave it to them on buy back which means I had the option, within a month, to buy it back. However, firstly they needed to check it was Ok so I left it there and returned an hour later. It was fine I was told, they handed over £30.

So we already have a scenario of an £80 TV only being worth £30, not great. But it gets better, or actually worse ! Last week when my pension arrived I had to decide how to budget. The fact my PC monitor was playing up ( it now does not work at all) added to the fun. Anyway I thought I would take the cheap option and buy back said TV for £40.

So another £10 it has cost me. But wait, the best is yet to come ! As soon as I tried to use the TV I found it was more erratic than ever, I simply could not use it ( I have now forked out for a new one, it "only" cost £150 but it is damn good and is, whilst I have it, doubling as a TV and PC monitor. I have it set up for both so only need to adjust input mode to watch TV or use the PC. ) . As for the CC TV I took it back to sell it, as before I left it there. When I returned- "sorry it is faulty, we don't want it ! "

Well it was fine when I took it in according to them so what happened in the few weeks they had it ?

But there is more, consider these 2 points :

1) Why was in Cash Converters on the day I bought the TV ? I'll tell you why ! In early November I took out a small loan, £35 with £40 to be repaid on 25th November when my pension goes in. Now the £5 charge doesn't bother me at all, it's a handy ( and by the standards of this type of loan cheap ) option to have given my Mum and brother live £100 miles away so if I need a few quid it saves a lot of bother. Now the £40 was taken from my debit card on 25/11, no problem. On the 26th I checked my online bank statement, it had been taken again !

So I went to the shop, very nearby luckily, to query it and eventually they agreed it was an error and gave me £40 in cash, I left the shop. Why did I go back again ? Because no sooner did I get home again then I found that another £40 had been taken. So I returned again and received another £40 ! Whilst they were checking I looked at the TV's and needing a new one I decided to buy one in there. Now I had spent a few pounds en route so with the £40 they gave me I had about £78-79 on me. HOWEVER, they graciously let me have the with a £1 discount, I figure I deserved it. But this is relevant moving on to point 2..

2) I have been checking and I think, according to the Sale of Goods Act, not only should they refund me without the receipt all things being equal, it is actually a criminal offence to tell me otherwise !! Now at no time have they ever denied selling me the TV, it would be hard to do so so what the hell are they doing ? The dates all tie in with me being there the day in question, they have loads of CCTV so if it came down to it I cannot imagine any reasonable person would dispute the fact the TV came from there.

I have sent a written/email complaint to their Head Office, typically no response as yet. I will go in there if needs be but I will struggle, even in my calmest mood, to control myself . However, I would like to get some further advice before I go in there, it would clearly help if I was sure of my rights etc: Surely CC are no different to any other shop that sells goods ?

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by citizenB
Spacing for easier reading

Have added some more paragraphs to your post in order to make it easier to read and also moved you to General Retail Forums, where I think you will find more advice :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

2) I have been checking and I think, according to the Sale of Goods Act, not only should they refund me without the receipt all things being equal, it is actually a criminal offence to tell me otherwise !! Now at no time have they ever denied selling me the TV, it would be hard to do so so what the hell are they doing ? The dates all tie in with me being there the day in question, they have loads of CCTV so if it came down to it I cannot imagine any reasonable person would dispute the fact the TV came from there.

What payment method did you use to buy the broken TV which Brighthouse apparently implied was fully functional?

Did you pay by cash, unfortunately? It's just that you mention that you also have a debit card. Could you perhaps have used your debit card to purchase from Brighthouse on this occasion?

If so, your bank statements should corroborate your purchase of the TV from BrightHouse. The company's own Point of Sale records (till receipts etc, card transaction paperwork) should confirm that you bought a television from the company on that date.

If Brighthouse refuses to check its card transaction records to confirm that purchase, the company should be reported to the local Trading Standards department.

Out of curiosity, why did you de-pawn the television when you knew it to be faulty?