Advice re poor quality laptop from John Lewis

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4494 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

This is my first post so hello to everyone. I'd be really grateful for any potential advice re a laptop I have purchased from John Lewis.

I bought the laptop, a Sony Vaio one, in January 2011 (and it came with a two-year guarantee). In October of the same year the laptop developed a couple of small stress fractures / cracks near the power button.

As I take very good care of the laptop, paid nearly £1,200 which in my view meant it should have come with a certain degree of durability / build quality, and was within the guarantee period, I contacted John Lewis regarding a repair.

After a lot of correspondence and wriggling from John Lewis (which I found both surprising and disappointing given their reputation), they eventually paid for the cracks to be repaired.

In January 2012 practically the same cracks reappeared in the same location, near the power button.

Initially John Lewis reacted in the same way, that I would have to pay for the repair; but the customer services representative I was dealing with then looked into my previous experience, and they agreed to pay for a second repair (during my previous experience I was eventually rung by a manager who apologised, said it was not typical of how they respond to customers etc etc. One of the responses in particular would have been the central plank of a seminar on how not to do it!).

Whilst I am grateful that John Lewis has agreed to pay for this second repair, I am concerned that I have been saddled with a machine which seems to be made of papier mache which is going to develop this same fault again and again now.

As it has happened twice within the guarantee period, do I have any rights (or not) to:

-ask for an exchange?

-ask for a refund?

I just feel if you pay nearly £1,200 for a product it should be free from occurring faults for a certain duration, particularly when it is within guarantee.

The response from Sony (to John Lewis) has been that the issue rests with me, and I appreciate any readers of this post must take it on faith, but I do take very good care of the laptop, and if I had damaged it myself then I would have simply taken it to a local repair shop. In my view the fact that the same fault has occurred again strengthens my position that I am being honest, lightning striking twice etc, but others may hold a different view.

Sorry if the post is somewhat lengthy / convoluted, thought I would supply as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions...

If you speak to Consumer Direct they may be able to help you http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/index.htm

The sale of goods act also comes into play and so may be worth you looking into that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

I would write to John Lewis Head Office & tell them you would like a replacement (can only but try) as repairs are not sorting the problem out & ongoing cracks will only continue.

I hope you get it sorted.

CAG NEEDS FUNDS PLEASE DONATE AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE WHERE POSSIBLE

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/paypal.php?go=donate

Hi SL

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down and what you want them to do.

Send it :-

Andy Street, Chief Executive

andy_street@johnlewis.co. uk

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...complaint.html