Courtesy car cost claimed by a hit driver

matlovec
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

could you please give me your view on following situation: My wife hit parked car in our street. Minor damage - few scratches on that BMW 5's bumper. She left her details under the wiper for owners to come back. They have and, over few weeks, their bumper got fixed / replaced and insurance companies (I thought) have settled the issue financially.

Only now, three months after the accident I received a claim asking me to pay crazy money (almost 3k) for the rent of their courtesy car. When I spoke to them with that claim in hand, they said they were offered a courtesy car in the garage, as it was included in their coverage. It took - for some reason - long 12 days until they got their car back.

It looks like my insurance company has paid for the repair only - as I believe any 3rd party insurance does. And their insurance refuses to pay for the courtesy car, or is now trying to get that money from me.

I had no idea they were using courtesy car up until now. And feel no responsibility for whatever are the terms of their insurance contract. In addition, 12 days to fix the bumper seems bizarre to me.

Anyone has a similar experience or advice?

thank you very much.

Hi mat

It does sound like they are taking you for a ride. Have you contacted your insurance company?

How soon after the note that you left did they contact you?

Move thread to correct forum.

They contacted us in a day or two after we hit them. We've contacted our insurance company right after the first contact.

What the right forum would be?

thanks!

Hi mat

I've already moved it to the correct forum, the reason why I ask regarding contact is, you would of thought that they would of mentioned the hire of a car. I'm fairly sure Unclebulgaria will respond shortly.

They contacted us in a day or two after we hit them. We've contacted our insurance company right after the first contact.

What the right forum would be?

thanks!

It is up to your Insurance company to deal with the 3rd party hire car costs, so give them a phone call and arrange to send on anything received. Where the hire costs are disputed, this can lead to a court claim being issued against the driver at fault. Your Insurers will deal with this and they may defend the action in court. What often happens these days is that Insurers use these claims accident management companies like DriveAssist or Helphire and they appear to charge very high amounts for hire cars. Your Insurers may be wanting to negotiate the amount down to a more reasonable amount and the 3rd party Insurers or company acting for them, now want to press this, by issuing a claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

To be honest it isn't that expensive for a credit hire claim for a performance car. I have had £60k+ claims for Land Rover sports hire after accidents (albeit a few years ago now). The latest case of Darren Bent v Allianz that was in the news just goes to show that the rates for prestige cars are unbelievably high, but even more worrying is the almost innevitable recoverability of the costs.

Turning to the OP, I would just refer it back to your insurer and demand they deal with it. Is the 'claim' you received a letter or are the documents proceedings issued in Court?

To be honest it isn't that expensive for a credit hire claim for a performance car. I have had £60k+ claims for Land Rover sports hire after accidents (albeit a few years ago now). The latest case of Darren Bent v Allianz that was in the news just goes to show that the rates for prestige cars are unbelievably high, but even more worrying is the almost innevitable recoverability of the costs.

Turning to the OP, I would just refer it back to your insurer and demand they deal with it. Is the 'claim' you received a letter or are the documents proceedings issued in Court?

But was there any need for them to hire a performance car and for 12 days for a minor scratch? That is the question.

But was there any need for them to hire a performance car and for 12 days for a minor scratch? That is the question.

Probably not, which is why they may be disputing it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

its the costs they charge lots

we had some hit a bentley it was away for about 28 weeks getting fixed

the hire car was a audi S8 bill was near 80k on that it did 2 weeks use then was parked up as it was not liked and he used his Q7 for the rest of the time his bentley was getting fixed

for the hire costs of the car I think

thats one way to make money buy cars an rent them to insurance companys

The courts are very soft on hire and credit hire in particluar, you have to remeber a judge doesn't drive around in a battered Fiesta, and on that basis empathises with the Jag/BMW/Audi owner and their need to be placed in a similar vehicle.

This is of course my own opinion and I'm sure most judges are perfectly in touch with the real world.