HELP...my Northern Irish Driving License expired in 2005 and i'm living in Scotland - What should i do???

TrigSnow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my full Northern Irish Driving License expired in 2005 and i'm having panic attacks about this now and what could happen to me!! I was spurred onto investigate this further when i was watching what happened to Rita in Coronation Street and remembered that mine had expired but i never actually realised the consequences :|

I went onto the DVLA website and managed to find the relevant section and it has scared the bejesus out of me!

I could get points, a 1000k fine or my car crushed!

I am going to phone them tomorrow but am absolutely dreading it and think i am going to cry on the phone and would like some advice (if anyone has any..) on how to handle this - what to say - or basically how to avoid these consequences.

I have never had any points, fines or any offences - so i'm clear in that respect but basically are they going to come down on me like a tonne of bricks?

Advice/comments would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Scared teary girl in Scotland :help:

What do you mean by "expired"? Under normal circumstances a UK or N.Irish driving licence is valid until you are 70, but you will need to update the photograph from time to time (usually every 10 years).

If it is only "expired" because the photo has run out, then this does not mean your entitlement to drive has expired also. In this case, simply apply for a replacement licence using a new photo and send the fee. this section of the DVLA guidelines should apply. i.e. you can carry on driving pending your replacement licence turning up.

Driving before your licence is returned

You can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

• have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
  • aren't disqualified from driving
  • haven't been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
  • wouldn't be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
  • keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

Thanks for getting back to me crem...

Well, I think it has expired, it has the date 14/09/2005 on the front of the photocard but the paper part states that I have entitlement to drive til..14/09/2005...so maybe you are right . Does this not mean it's expired?

I'm also worried that i've never changed my details from Northern Ireland to Scotland, could this be a problem?

I'm wondering as well... my NI licence expired last October. NI licences display the entitlement up to the expiry date of the photocard, not of your 70th birthday the way GB licences do. I'm not sure about the state of the RPA (review of public administration, in NI) but last I heard there were plans to merge DVLNI (in Coleraine) with DVLA (in Swansea). I'm in Canada now, but going back, and wondering about the state of it.

On the photocard it si 4b that tells you when the photo card licence expires. So if it was issued on 14/09/2005 it will only expire in 2015. However it is an offence not to notify the DVLA of your new address. This costs you zero.

Yeah but we're not talking about DVLA here, we're talking about DVLNI. They operate under different legislation, namely the Road Traffic Act (England, Scotland, Wales); and the Road Traffic Northern Ireland Order (NI obviously). There are some significant differences between them. I've just sent an email to DVLNI for them to clarify the situation. When they get back to me, I'll post the response here.

Things NI has that GB doesn't have:

* 'R' plates - a speed restriction to 45 mph within the first year of getting your licence

* Government-run MOT centres, yes all of them. You can't take your car to a local garage for an MOT, you have to go to a government-run centre.

* Photocards (NI has issues 10-year photocards since at least the 1950s)

Edited by kainwolf
Adding differences betweeen RTA and RTO(NI)

There is nothing to worry about. Mine expired and I had not realised, you fill in a new application and post to DVLNI in Coleraine. It is however illegal to drive until you apply for the new licence. As long as there is no change in medical condition then its legal to drive again from the day you post your application form. You will probably have to get your ID checked by someone in authority again (like passport) but its a hassle free process.

The date of issue of photo licence is not relevant. Its on the back where it gives you the dates you can drive from and to. The date of issue of the photo licence will be date if/when you applied for replacement. Dates on back of licence are the ones to worry about.

Here is the response I received from DVLNI:

When you return you can do 2 things:

1. If you return to NI you can just renew the expired licence.

2. If you return to mainland GB you can request a letter of entitlement from the DVA in NI and exchange it for a new GB licence.

The best thing to do is gives us a call when you return.

Here is the response I received from DVLNI:

Thats all very well them saying that, but if you are driving on an expired licence its illegal! I suggest you get a form and apply now. Also will they issue an entitlement to drive when infact you dont have a valid licence?